Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sit-down Longarms >

Sit-down Longarms

Sit-down Longarms

Old 02-16-2011, 05:42 AM

I am a long arm quilter not in business but quilt only queen size quilts so needed my own long arm because it was to difficult to use my domestic sewing machine for quilting.I started out with a pennywinkle fram and a brother seiing machine but could only quilt about 5 inches.So bought an A1 12 foot table longarm.This A1 has a hydraulic lift so the table goes up and down.It came with a saddle backless hydraulis chair looks kinda like a bar stall but with a saddle.So I have the option of sitting when my back is hurting or standing.By being able to move my table up and down it helps my hurting back .You can work from the back on a panagraph and sit and slide your chair along or work from the front and do custon quilting I have two chairs one for front and back.These machines are easy to glide but still are heavy so go to a big quilt show and run them all before spending a lot of money you might regret.If you are going into business think of your back and legs .After standing or sitting fatique in all your extremity's will come into play so try many machines before buying.I love my A1 but there are many good ones out there now.I hope this helps you.,happy quilting.

Elaine from Pa. http://community.webshots.com/user/heellie
Old 02-16-2011, 05:46 AM

I have never used a long arm quilter but it seems to me that you could use a bar stool to sit at it. If it had wheels you could scoot back and forth. My DH has one from Costco in the garage that has a back and is height adjustable and has a place to rest your feet. Don't know if this would work but it's worth thinking about. I agree with other posts that you need to try out whatever you buy because it's a major investment. Maybe get to a quilt show to see and try them out first.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hen3rietta
I've got a Sunshine 16. I had been looking at table mounted longarms for a number of years and saw this one at a local quilt show. It was love at first sight. It's very basic, absolutely no electronics to go haywire, and most of it's parts like motors, belts, feet, fuses are readily available locally if needed for repair. It can be mounted on a quilting frame but I wanted one that was table mounted because I prefer it that way. The best was the price. Under $2,000 including the table. If you want more information PM me and I'll find the manufacturer's information.
this is the one I'm looking at for my Grace frame..it will fit with no modifications so thats a plus...need a new crown on one of my teeth (ouch! so expensive) so have been waiting..
Old 02-16-2011, 06:24 AM
Banned

I have a friend who has a sit down Pennywinkle Valley Ranch and it is amazing! Still, it is limiting on what you can do. As in you better love free motion! BUT for space saving, it is the best!
Old 02-16-2011, 06:48 AM

I have a machine by Nolting. I am allergic to latex / natural rubber and couldn't go into stores to try out all the machines. I needed one without any rubber parts and Notling was AMAZING! They called me with each step to make sure not to use glues or rubber, and custom made my machine at no extra cost and shipped it via a tractor trailer to me. I got a video, they had printed instructions to assemble it and they were only ever a phone call away. I have had it for several years, haven't needed any repairs. If i call they answer every question. It is just the basic industrial long arm machine with stitch regulators and such and a king size table. I like it. I am not very good yet since time is always limited to work with it but I am very happy to have a latex free machine that is very low maintenance. I oil it with every use and hopefully it will last forever. Check them out, they are very helpful. If you are in Pennsylvania, you are welcome to come and try it out.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tgreen130
I have a machine by Nolting. I am allergic to latex / natural rubber and couldn't go into stores to try out all the machines. I needed one without any rubber parts and Notling was AMAZING! They called me with each step to make sure not to use glues or rubber, and custom made my machine at no extra cost and shipped it via a tractor trailer to me. I got a video, they had printed instructions to assemble it and they were only ever a phone call away. I have had it for several years, haven't needed any repairs. If i call they answer every question. It is just the basic industrial long arm machine with stitch regulators and such and a king size table. I like it. I am not very good yet since time is always limited to work with it but I am very happy to have a latex free machine that is very low maintenance. I oil it with every use and hopefully it will last forever. Check them out, they are very helpful. If you are in Pennsylvania, you are welcome to come and try it out.
wow,,that is a great attribute to the company. Thanks for sharing that! I am glad you got something so well made and makes you "sew" happy!
Old 02-16-2011, 07:26 AM

I have an A 1 Elite longarm machine that comes with a padded stool on wheels. I chose this after testing most of the the machines for two years because it is so lightweight to handle, glides like a dream, the table adjusts to the height I want (has ergolift) and I can see the best out of all the machines when I sew. What I learned the most is you have to pick the machine that is best for YOU, because you will be the one using it.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by heellie
I am a long arm quilter not in business but quilt only queen size quilts so needed my own long arm because it was to difficult to use my domestic sewing machine for quilting.I started out with a pennywinkle fram and a brother seiing machine but could only quilt about 5 inches.So bought an A1 12 foot table longarm.This A1 has a hydraulic lift so the table goes up and down.It came with a saddle backless hydraulis chair looks kinda like a bar stall but with a saddle.So I have the option of sitting when my back is hurting or standing.By being able to move my table up and down it helps my hurting back .You can work from the back on a panagraph and sit and slide your chair along or work from the front and do custon quilting I have two chairs one for front and back.These machines are easy to glide but still are heavy so go to a big quilt show and run them all before spending a lot of money you might regret.If you are going into business think of your back and legs .After standing or sitting fatique in all your extremity's will come into play so try many machines before buying.I love my A1 but there are many good ones out there now.I hope this helps you.,happy quilting.

Elaine from Pa. http://community.webshots.com/user/heellie
Hi to a felow A1 quilter! I've had mine about 4 years. How bout you?
Old 02-16-2011, 07:51 AM

Try pennywinkleranch.com. They have a wonderful longarm

with avery nice cabinet to quilt while sitting.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:51 AM

I'm seeing lots of A1 owners on this thread! Hi girls!!