Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip toe through hexagons Cutie style, assembling blocks >

Tip toe through hexagons Cutie style, assembling blocks

Tip toe through hexagons Cutie style, assembling blocks

Old 02-14-2010, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kyiav10
Originally Posted by salmonsweet
My machine needs healing before I can sew, so I'm falling behind again.
Mine too. It started squeaking so taking it to get cleaned and oiled on Monday. Going to borrow my sisters.

Kyia
Lucky you! My sister lives 2,000 miles away. :-)
Old 02-14-2010, 10:46 PM

Denise it looks delicious! I love it with the original on the outside and the blocks on the inside. So fresh... I just want to go splash around in it.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
So what do you guys think, more darks or more lights? Should I do all the lights in the center, then all darks around it? It's what I was thinking, but would love more input!
Lights in the centre sound lovely. I'd like to see... :D Might be stunning with more darks and mediums (the greens) if you put the lights in the centre. (But then I'm still thinking sun reflexes on a forest floor, and perhaps that's not what you want to be heading for... :) )
Old 02-14-2010, 10:59 PM
k3n
Power Poster

I agree with lights in the centre, radiating out. And I am loving this forest floor idea!

BTW - personally, I'd do a similar layout with yours Bailey. I find if you don't get as many of the blocks that you like best, grouping them all in the centre really intensifies their impact, giving the illusion that there are more. Hope that makes sense;
Old 02-14-2010, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by athenagwis
Originally Posted by bailey
Thanks everyone. Moved some more blocks around - any better? I will play a little more but I think it is destined for the closet........

Cut out another - the animal print which was the one I was originally going to do. See how that one works out.
i think you have a lot of blocks that are predominantly yellow spread around, step back and find the ones that are mostly yellow and move them to the top left corner, the bottom right looks good, and then shift the mostly pink one to go through the middle at an angle, I think that would look really good.

I attached a picture of what I mean, to the left of the line I drew should be mostly yellow, with the ones that are pretty split yellow and pink closest to the lines. The ones I circled to the right of the line should move more towards yellow and the ones I circled to the left of the line should move over the line towards pink ....
WOW! you saw the same thing I was seeing, but you knew how to demonstrate what you were talking about ... I think Bailey is going to LOVE the result .... so very interesting to watch the movement and the decisions! <wave>
Old 02-15-2010, 02:18 AM
Power Poster

Bailey, I wonder if you also add some border pieces to your design wall, if that won't change the look too. Lighter/medium might help bring out some more of the lighter colors in your blocks. You could fold and hang the fabric next to the blocks to test drive them.
I think your blocks are awesome, and I am pulling for you to find a solution so that you love your quilt too :wink: :D:D:D
Old 02-15-2010, 04:30 AM

Denise :shock: :shock: :shock:

It is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!! you got done so fast, it is so pretty!!
can't wait to see your next one :mrgreen: :thumbup:
Old 02-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

you are all havin so much fun without me, Love what I am seeing of course, so the next step is being started here,

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-36954-1.htm#803066
Old 02-25-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by bailey
Thanks everyone. Moved some more blocks around - any better? I will play a little more but I think it is destined for the closet........

Cut out another - the animal print which was the one I was originally going to do. See how that one works out.
Maybe if you made one of your cube sides out of a green, instead of such a dark brown, they'd be more successful in your eyes? I agree w/ cb, in that maybe you should just rearrange your hexs more.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:46 PM

I was going to use cubes but decided the fences (like those in the OBW Encore book, page 75, Encroachment) would be more appropriate with my animal print. THere is really not that much difference between the light and dark hexagong...pretty subtle. Anyway, I'd appreciate any suggestions for moving the hexagons. I was also thinking of moving the fence off center (it wasn't there intentionally). I would do that by moving hexagons from the right edge to the left edge (or vice versa). It's REALLY hard to move the fence :-(

Any other ideas?

BTW I have to fill in that little space below the center of the fences...no problem with that.

My version of Encroachment
[ATTACH=CONFIG]34502[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-34502.jpe