Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST >

Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST

Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST

Old 01-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Maralyn
Might be interesting sometime if rather than "pounds" lost to do a contest with "percentage of weight" lost like the Biggest Loser. Makes it more fair for the person who has a smaller amount of weight to lose....just a thought.
This has been brought up every month since I started the challenge. It seems no one takes into consideration there are between 50-100 people each month. Do you realize the amount of time it would take to keep track of that? This is NOT a paying job. We have had it lbs lost for a year, it has worked, no one feels cheated. We are more in it for the support, encouragement and friendship, the FQ's are an added bonus. There has been winner who lost as little as 7 lb and others losing as much as 20. However if anyone would like to start a thread with % lost not lbs feel free to do so. I know there are the regulars who are happy with it this way. We have become family.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:33 PM

I'm happy with the pounds system. Once those with a little to lose loses it all, they can then drop out. After all, they may be the winner the first few months??!
Old 01-01-2011, 02:46 PM

Someone asked what kind of plan we have to lose the weight...

As a family we have decided to stop eating out, stop the junky/processed stuff (we don't eat that much of it anyway), and move more. Oh, and drinking mostly water instead of diet coke, tea w/ splenda, etc.

I am so picky about what my KIDS eat/drink and making sure they get plenty of fresh air/exercise - but when it comes to myself and DH, we don't put forth the effort we should for US. I'm especially struggling with getting MY body moving more. We have a membership to the Y that is WAY underused. I am hoping that putting some audio books and humorous podcasts on the iphone will motivate me to at least spend a little kid-free time on the exercise equipment there. Even if I'm 'just walking' at a leisurely pace.

Sooo - not a particular plan, but these changes will hopefully work well for us. FWIW, I'd like to lose 50ish lbs, but 60 would be even better!
Old 01-01-2011, 02:47 PM

It's Jan 1 and I'm weighing in. My refux is bad today and I can't eat...Maybe there is some good in the bad!! haha

Anyone have suggestions for a diet for reflux??
Old 01-01-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
As I sit here I am having my last butter ladden lunch for 2010.............a big bowl of grits with so much butter it is swimming it it. yummmmmmmmm no cheese, no baccon I like it just plain cooked in milk...........grits. omg I have been in Ohio too long........PLEASE send me back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, Cbridges aka Cindy you read it right......GRITS. and weren't YOU suppose to give me some grit recipes???????
Yes and I will but I sure am not sure how they will fit in with weight lose?
Old 01-01-2011, 03:20 PM

Well I just weighed in ( I am a long time night shifter so my day has just begun)

HOLY CATFISH!!! I am 219.2 an all time high for me at barely 5'3" ,I have got to get serious . I did the hypnotism today and will set aside time each day ,so here I go down this road again. As someone else said I turn 50 soon and would love to look better at 50 than I did at 40, may be tough though , I was in a midlife crises at 40, lost down to a size 10 and looked danged good on my new harley looking back. Whew too bad I couldn't get back in that attitude I had then lol.
219.2 I am in shock, well off to work I go......
Old 01-01-2011, 03:23 PM

Might be interesting sometime if rather than "pounds" lost to do a contest with "percentage of weight" lost like the Biggest Loser. Makes it more fair for the person who has a smaller amount of weight to lose....just a thought.
This has been brought up every month since I started the challenge. It seems no one takes into consideration there are between 50-100 people each month. Do you realize the amount of time it would take to keep track of that? This is NOT a paying job. We have had it lbs lost for a year, it has worked, no one feels cheated. We are more in it for the support, encouragement and friendship, the FQ's are an added bonus. There has been winner who lost as little as 7 lb and others losing as much as 20. However if anyone would like to start a thread with % lost not lbs feel free to do so. I know there are the regulars who are happy with it this way. We have become family.
Ouch.....
Hope this is not a family only site, I have been on several threads over the years that the "family" looks over the newcommers......
Old 01-01-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by raedar63
Ouch.....
Hope this is not a family only site, I have been on several threads over the years that the "family" looks over the newcommers......
Old 01-01-2011, 03:27 PM

I didn't mean to make the challenge any different that it has been done in years previously. Since I don't have any knowledge of your experience, guess I spoke out of turn.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:33 PM

I'm going to join this one. Does anyone keep track on who's in? Do I need to do anything else beside lose my butt!? ;)