Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Blocks of the Orient - Signup CLOSED >

Blocks of the Orient - Signup CLOSED

Blocks of the Orient - Signup CLOSED

Old 02-08-2011, 04:47 PM

TO Deb:
There was a recent thread on the board about FRE being rejected at the Post Office. This was the outcome from the poster:

Well I tried again with no luck today. I took an envelope in that was in the 3/4 inch guidlines that some of you have stated and it was denied. I had a nice little chat with the post master.

I asked what about the if it fits it ships slogan? He said that the problem is that it didn't fit. Just because the envelope shut doesn't mean that it fit. It is an envelope for documents only and cannot be used for anything else! Period. They are loosing so much money that they had to tighten down on the rules. Documents only.

We then talked about other options. I told him that if I stop using the flat rate envelopes I will no longer be able to sell online as the shipping will be more than the products that I am selling. He said that I can order the new padded envelopes online and use them. They are not used for documents. You can use them for anything and there are no restrictions on them as far as width.

Overall it was a very nice chat. He understood my complains and helped me to find a new solution. He also isn't sure why they can't get the bubble mailers in the store but he said he would look into it further for me. So I guess that is a reasonable solution

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and comments! I appreciate all the help and advice!

Are you sure the blocks will all fit in a FRE and not need the bubble envelopes? I just want to avoid any postage issues.
TIA,
Chris
Old 02-08-2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by oatw13
Ooohhh, such pretty blocks!

I have 4 sets completed! Two by me, two by mom who isn't a board member. :)

I will be mailing these out next week.

I hope you like them!
Those are awesome!!!!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:11 PM

Here is a block I made tonight. It's not squared up yet.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-163205.jpe  
Old 02-08-2011, 07:22 PM

I just visited the USPS website, and found this information under "A Customer's Guide to Mailing".

This is cut and pasted from the site in it's entirety.

Note: Flat Rate prices are available when material is sent in a USPS-produced Flat Rate Envelope or Box. When sealing a Flat Rate Box or Flat Rate Envelope, the container flaps must be able to close within the normal folds. Tape may be applied to the flaps and seams to reinforce the container; provided the design of the container is not enlarged by opening the sides and the container is not reconstructed in any way.

Weight restrictions for domestic Express Mail and Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelopes and Boxes are 70 pounds.

Weight restrictions for Priority Mail International are 4 pounds for the Flat Rate Envelopes, Small Flat Rate Box, and DVD Box and Large Video Box; 20 pounds for the Medium Flat Rate Boxes and the Large Flat Rate Box.

Weight restrictions for Express Mail Flat Rate International vary by country and are noted in the Individual Country Listings. However, the maximum weight limit for any Express Mail International shipment is 70 pounds.

Rate restriction for both boxes and envelope is 70 lbs and mentions nothing about what the contents must be. No restrictions there. I will print this out and take it with me when I go!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:22 PM

I would like to do this. Sign me up!!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:30 PM

MistyMarie,
just send a private message to Deb Watkins and she will add you to the list.....did you go to the 1st page and read the guidelines? I can't wait to see your blocks. Don't forget to post a picture before you send them on to Deb.

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
I would like to do this. Sign me up!!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:23 PM

Here are four blocks I laid out together. I like them!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-143875.jpe  
Old 02-09-2011, 06:27 PM

Those are beautiful! I love the layout
Old 02-09-2011, 06:27 PM

Ladies, this flat rate envelope issue with the post office is really getting my German/Irish ire up. I have been assured by my PO that she will accept the envelopes as I have been mailing them in all past swaps. Some of you have reported that your PO will not take them for mailing, yet there was a post from a Postal worker a week or so ago that stated that the Flat rate envelopes were acceptable for swaps and should be accepted, that the FRE were not just for documents. So, before you start mailing your blocks with the return envelope, we need to come to a concensus as to how this should be handled. One option is to use the tyvek Priority mail envelopes, they are priced by address and weight. I know that I can get 4 sets (if I need to), but I can't give you a solid price. The problem is that without a confirmed price, the host most often ends up paying the additional postage and there are some who do not honor the generosity of the hostess. I have to say that I have had many who (apparently knowing this) have sent extra $$ because of this. Very nice on their part, but again, not their responsibility either. So, this being said, I have not had any problem shipping with the flat rate envelope of $4.95....so far, because according to MY PO, if it fits, it ships. So.....please give me your thoughts.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:35 PM

If your post office will ship it then lets do it that way!

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Ladies, this flat rate envelope issue with the post office is really getting my German/Irish ire up. I have been assured by my PO that she will accept the envelopes as I have been mailing them in all past swaps. Some of you have reported that your PO will not take them for mailing, yet there was a post from a Postal worker a week or so ago that stated that the Flat rate envelopes were acceptable for swaps and should be accepted, that the FRE were not just for documents. So, before you start mailing your blocks with the return envelope, we need to come to a concensus as to how this should be handled. One option is to use the tyvek Priority mail envelopes, they are priced by address and weight. I know that I can get 4 sets (if I need to), but I can't give you a solid price. The problem is that without a confirmed price, the host most often ends up paying the additional postage and there are some who do not honor the generosity of the hostess. I have to say that I have had many who (apparently knowing this) have sent extra $$ because of this. Very nice on their part, but again, not their responsibility either. So, this being said, I have not had any problem shipping with the flat rate envelope of $4.95....so far, because according to MY PO, if it fits, it ships. So.....please give me your thoughts.