Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 05-24-2011, 06:24 PM

I have my Grandmother's 221. My Mom had it for years but never used it. I had it for a number of years and just thought it was so cute. It wasn't until I joined this board that I realized she is so special.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:13 PM

You can learn a lot from this board. There are a lot if quilters who have a lot of good information who are willing to share it. And everyone here who I've 'talked' to is very friendly.
I think it would be very special to have your grandmother's machine. When my grandmother died, I asked my mother to see if she could get Grandma's machine for me. I remember it being in Grandma's back room. Instead my mother brought me her propane stove, which I never converted to gas, and hadn't wanted. She said that the machine and cabinet was not in good condition, so she didn't get it. I'd have loved to try and fix it up. My mother didn't like antiques or old things, I guess.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Janis
Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by Janis
I just got home from shopping and want to tell everyone what I got. I got a rolling tote for my featherweight,who is still nameless, unfortunately. I got an 'Everything Mary' rolling tote that has a picture of yarn in the top of it. It measures 15"L x8"W x13"H It was for $59.99 at Michaels, back by the yarn, and with a 40% off, I got it for about $38.00. It has pockets!! 1 open and 1 zips down to hold things inside it's little pockets, and one that just zips. And those are just on the front. It has a pocket on each side on the outside, and zip ones all around on the inside. I do have to give my friend Ione credit for finding the tote for her machine and telling me about it so I could get one too. I went on line and didn't find it at either Hobby Lobby nor Joann's. Maybe Michaels is the only place that has it.
I also went to Joann's and got a walking foot for it at the Viking store in there. It cost $24.95 or something like that.
Wish I had read this earlier! I was just at a JoAnns and saw one on clearance for $29.99 and wondered if my Featherweight would fit in it - it looked like it would, but I didn't take time to look closer and I didn't have the measurements of my featherweight. I was thinking it might be nice to leave the original case home. Of course, my baby is still out at the Dr's.
The one at Joann's might not be the same as I got at Michaels. I looked in 'Joann on line' and didn't see the rolling tote that I have. In the front pocket that opens up all the way, there are 2 little zippered clear plastic bags that velcro on the front side, and on the back there are several little open pockets, some with elastic above them that would hold knitting needles if bought by a knitter. I think a sewer/ quilter could use them for a lot if different things. I was surprised at all of the zippered and other pockets that it has. It has a LOT more than any of my sewing machine rolling totes have. It is also smaller than the sewing machine totes, and you don't need that much room for the featherweight to toss around in. This bag seems to be built just the right size for it. If you can get to a Michaels and check it out, I'm sure you'd like it a lot. Remember, Michaels takes Joann, Hancock, Hobby Lobby as well as their own coupons!
Janis
PS sorry for being so long winded!
No need to apologize - thanks for the details! :D I'll check them out. I have a rolling bag for my bigger machines, but I know I don't need (or want) anything that big for the featherweight.

I'm learning so much information about featherweights here and I'm really enjoying everyones stories! I've been telling my sister about them and she finally got hers out of the closet where its been for years - it was her mil's and the only machine she had when she was first married. After telling her about the posts here and the attachments I've been collecting she called me today and I helped her look up the 'birthdate' - 1952. (Mine is from 1949, which happens to be the year my sister was born.)
Old 05-24-2011, 07:40 PM

Somebody suggested this site www.featherweightrx.com and I think something is wrong with it. There were warnings posted on it.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:49 PM

fyi-MY UPPER CASE KEYS ARE WORKING OPPOSITE TO LOWER CASE NO IDEA WHY --
wANTED TO SAY THAT LAST BLACK FRI i GOT A WHEELED CARRIER FROM JOANNS AS A PRESENT TO CARRY MY SERGER -GOOD PRICE BUT I WOULD HAVE LIKED A DIFFERENT COLOR TAPESTRY-IT'S BROWN

MENTIONED THIS TO HELP OTHERS AS I HAVE TO TRANSPORT TO FL AND HUBBY ALMOST DROPPED IT WHEN IT WAS IN CARDBD BOX IN THE VAN
Old 05-24-2011, 10:20 PM

I am new to this blog. I also have a 1954 Featherweight 221 and I'm not really a quilter, but am getting closer every day. I do sew a lot however. I love reading the blogs on the Quilting Board. I am amazed that nearly everyday I see something about a Featherweight. My mother bought this for me when I was in high school. I used it through college, but after I bought a "real" machine in 1974, my Featherweight has been in closets. I couldn't bear to part with it, but I didn't realize what I jewel I had---not until I saw some prices on one just like mine in an antique store. Then I heard that quilters loved them. That gave me a whole new appreciation for what I have.

Today I took it in to be tuned up. It looks gorgeous, but has been sitting in a very hot Arizona garage. That has done it no favors. I get it back tomorrow and can't wait to try it out. The fellow said it looked like it was in excellent condition. Everything is original, even the can of oil and motor lubricant. He said don't use it, but don't throw it away. Keep it in the case.

Since reading the messages on the Quilting Board, I feel very fortunate that I did not ever sell it. Now I look at this machine with brand new eyes---thanks to all of you. Can't wait to get it and give it a try.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:51 AM

I'm not sure if this link works, but here is a post I made last Sept looking for a soft case for my FW. On page 2, you will see it, I bought it from Hancocks on-line for only $6.99 (and with free shipping), Its great the FW fits perfectly snug and makes it very light weight. I didn't want to trust the rolling bags. If I ever need to pack and roll, I can fit this bag right in my larger rolling case.

I just talked myself in looking for another one for a spare.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-63489-1.htm
Old 05-25-2011, 12:37 PM

Today I was out looking for a FW and no luck at the antique stores. I just hate to have to buy one off line, I am afraid of what I'll get.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by chichimamma
Today I was out looking for a FW and no luck at the antique stores. I just hate to have to buy one off line, I am afraid of what I'll get.
You could also check craigslist for local FW's and yard sales.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:00 PM

Thank you CraftyBear for starting this topic. I posted in the first 2nd or 3rd page of my "Lizzie".
I come home every night and read all the new pages, what a great way to end the day:)