Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares) >

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

Old 03-09-2023, 04:31 PM

Default Received my package!

I received a lovely zipper pouch, tape measure, a set of foundation papers, candies, and mini clips. The lining of the pouch is the cutest sheep fabric.

Many, many thanks to WMUTeach!

Gaijin
Attached Thumbnails img_1110.jpg  
Old 03-09-2023, 04:32 PM

Ah you are a woman of patience, bj. It will make those candies all the sweeter.

What have you all been working on lately? I have finished a black/white checkerboard quilt. Well, I finished the top anyway. I will layer and quilt over the weekend.

I seem to get myself caught up in too many sew-a- longs. I started another yesterday but it looks to be pretty easy. It does use 2.5's but I am using a jelly roll from stash rather than my little bins of pre-cut 2.5's. Strip piecing will hurry this quilt along. I have designated it for baby quilt and the little one is arriving early April. The pattern and sew-a-long comes from "My Carolina Home" and has good simple pictured instructions. I have enjoyed this site because it is not just quilting but also birds, squirrels, gardening, an occasional bear, Mini Coopers and good ideas for sewing and quilting projects. Take a peek. There are only three posting a week so followers are not inundated with too many e-mails. My Carolina Home.com

Time to get quilting!

Old 03-09-2023, 06:17 PM

WMUTeach, thanks for the link to My Carolina Home. I just spent a pleasant 45 minutes reading and thoroughly enjoying the blog.

I’m currently working on…nothing! I’m between projects and have promised myself not to start anything new until I quilt some of my ever-growing UFO pile. It’s obscene to have all these quilt tops needing quilting. I’m a bit intimidated by FMQ but I can do basic work. And I like straight line quilting so there’s little good excuse not to make a dent in the pile!

Am thinking about joining a local quilt guild. The nearest one was founded eons ago by Georgia Bonesteel, who remains active. That’s reason enough to join, considering the possibility of meeting her. Do any of you belong to a guild?
Old 03-09-2023, 08:26 PM

I finally got around to sewing the binding to the UFO Bauble Beads quilt. So I just need to take a pic and put it on the spare bed. I just completed quilting 5 baby tops and a throw top for a friend. I’m about ready to start 2 different mystery QAL’s at the end of the month. The 1st one is virtual with quarter’s quarters located in Florida. The other one is the yearly lock-in mystery. I have fabric selected for one and the other one I will select over the weekend. Wash & iron all the fabrics and then cut and do some pre-sewing on both. While I wait for the end of the month, I need to finish the r/w&blk quilt for my niece. I need to get that done before I start the other 2. I should also sew the binding on the 2020 lock-in mystery soon. I need to trim the quilt 1st, then sew on the binding. Due to medical issues last month I lost a month of sewing. Now I’m playing catch up.
Old 03-10-2023, 05:02 AM

Playing catch up and finishing UFO's are all good productive projects.Yeah to you busy quilters. I have finished three UFO's since January and it sure feels good.

JaniceMcC, so glad you had a virtual get away with Carole at My Carolina Home.. I have been following her for about two years enjoying tales of Oliver the squirrel and her porch garden. It is always assuring that when she see daffodils bobbing their heads, that spring will arrive in Michigan in a month or so. Not today. Another snow storm Friday.

Old 03-10-2023, 06:14 AM

I m so glad I'm not the only one with lots of ufo's. I'm not the quilted-twins.jpgimg_20230310_081148.jpgpostage-stamp.jpggreatest on FMQ also, so mostly straight lines too. Does anybody else feel that when FMQ became a thing it caused us to have so many Ufo's? HQ was the only quilting method and the time it took to do it, you knew not to start or have too many tops because of the time it took to quilt it.
I don't have any quilt shops local to me to bring a top to be quilted and the cost of postage along with the cost of getting a quilt done, well it's not justified to me , especially since they are gifted and we'll used.
I have managed to finish one more postage stamp quilt and another scrappy ( thanks to y'all showing me Quilted twins ) . Though I didn't use her measurements, but her idea.
putting my splendid Sampler II together though I'm questioning my decision on the window panes. I'm thinking it's too busy.
​​​​​​​Here's my last two quilts finished. One quilted, one not( another UFO ugghh), oh I did get my sphere appliqued
Old 03-10-2023, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

Wow, HappyLab, your plans make me feel tired! You must get a lot done.
Old 03-10-2023, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful scrappy quilt, Rosie! You can do some beautiful quilts with just straight line quilting. I just quilted this one yesterday (for donation) using only straight lines.

Attached Thumbnails img_e3226.jpg  
Old 03-10-2023, 04:13 PM

Woozers, you gals are busy, little bees. My favorite part of quilting is making the blocks. It is so easy to piece tops and then get caught up in the next great idea for another top and before you know it, the UFO pile is the size of Mount Rushmore. So looking forward to the day when they are all finished or at least the pile reduced significantly. I may throw a party!! In the mean time I am trying to be more self-disciplined and to finish, right down to the label before diving into another. Not working so well, I have 5 projects in progress at the moment. But one IS a UFO!!

Thanks for sharing you WIPs. Congratulations on your progress.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 03-10-2023 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2023, 04:39 PM

Love hearing about all these projects we candy-women are working on!

My Spring Break is next week, so I’m hoping to work on a long-neglected UFO that I recently sandwiched and have ready to quilt.

Luckily I enjoy all the phases of quilting, so I don’t end up with a pile of UFOs because there’s a step that I don’t like so much…

I end up with a pile of UFOs because I get a gleam in my eye for some fun new project and I set aside whatever I’m working on to do it!

But I’m resolving to finish up my last few UFOs this year! I have some from over a decade ago, yikes. It’s time, it’s time!