Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight Loss Challenge with a prize......Nov sign up >

Weight Loss Challenge with a prize......Nov sign up

Weight Loss Challenge with a prize......Nov sign up

Old 11-08-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by lauriejo
Zumba is kind of like a new version of aerobics. I think I would pass out in 10 minutes! But I would like to try yoga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf0q6qtThF4
Yoga is really good for me and I really love it. I was to go today but did not---felt kinda sluggish all day.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by trupeach1
Has anyone heard from Missy????????? She was going home I think Sunday and she hasn't been on since she told us about the hotel. Post if you hear from her or see her on hte board.
I haven't heard from her either.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by fryguymoore
it takes 30 days to make or break a habit or so they say. so if we change are eating habit and STICK to it for 30 days then our brain will just eat that way. I mean not just giving up crap food or eating to much. i think it has to be more controlled. Like you eat your meals and snacks the same time everyday. I actualy think I will google to see what it says about habits and if food comes under that theroy
I must say I disagree with the 30 days to establish a new habit. It was two years ago that I began eating healthy and going to the gym five days a week. I did this for an entire year. Clearly it didn't stick :(

According to the book I am reading, Habit Change Workbook, this may be so for easier habits, but it isn't true for addictions or the harder to break habits. These habits can be broken but in order to stay gone we have to make them stay gone by always being alert to the fact that they can return. (But not in a negative way like that sounded.)

I think it is unwise to figure that since a certain number of days have gone by we are all better.

I have had this food addition for a very long time, 30 days didn't fix it before and it won't now. I can fix this but I have to aways want to forever.

One day at a time...
It's the "anonymous" thing - AA (alcoholics anonymous), NA (narcotics anonymous), OA (overeaters anonymous), and I know there are more. That's not a bad thing. It is just saying, Hey - I have an addiction/habit and I want to break/overcome it. Some of the habits are stronger than others. We just have to know how strong our own personal habits are. Once you're on a program you can't fall off and a lot of people don't understand that.

But the wonderful thing is that we on this board have each other and we all want to help each other. Being able to reach out to others here on the board, get encouragement, through this thread and through PM's, exchanging tele #'s with those we comfortable with, it is a good thing and it's so good to see it happening. This is so much better for some than going to meetings. A lot of people are uncomfortable going to meetings and some people are not able to go to meetings. The nice thing about being here is that it is always here, any time of nite or day. It's a wonderful community.

I know I've gotten a lot of encouragement from one of our members who keeps riding my butt and keeps me "keeping on" to achieve some of my goals. Every day I get a message, "So what did you do today". Somedays I'd like to slap her and then I laugh at myself because I know she cares. And if she doesn't send me a PM then I worry about her. :lol:

So keep on keeping on. Your support for each other is outstanding. :thumbup:
Old 11-08-2010, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Has anyone heard from Missy????????? She was going home I think Sunday and she hasn't been on since she told us about the hotel. Post if you hear from her or see her on hte board.
I haven't heard from her either.
Me neither
Old 11-08-2010, 08:48 PM

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one struggling with food addictions. Nice to have people who know how it feels and understand you cant have any not one or it gets out of hand. So many people tell me "one won't hurt" but they don't understand I can't have just one.Thanks for the incouragment.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:49 PM

Does anyone have her address/phone # ? Call her or drop her a note to let her know we are missing her.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by bronald
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one struggling with food addictions. Nice to have people who know how it feels and understand you cant have any not one or it gets out of hand. So many people tell me "one won't hurt" but they don't understand I can't have just one.Thanks for the incouragment.
food addictions are like alcohol/drug addictions.... you are ALWAYS recovering... you are not cured.
I am a recovering alcoholic since my teen years... keeping your mind busy and your body busy/exercising is the best way I have found to keep from eating randomly.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:15 PM

The problem with a food addiction is, than unlike drugs or alcohol, you have to eat. You can avoid the other addictive substances, but you can't avoid food. When I could eat cookies, there was no such thing as 'just one.'

I left food on my plate for what may have been the first time in my life tonight. It's a strange, but nice feeling. The dogs liked it.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:13 PM

Dropped 2 lbs in 5 days… I cut back on my sodas and started drinking more water. I kept busy quilting and sewing. Made 3 Bow tucks and finished 1 quilt except for the binding. I stopped watching TV at night and instead I read or get on line and that keeps me from wanting to nibble. When I set and watch TV I find myself snacking on something. My goal is to totally get of the #$%^%$# sodas. I don’t just watch the foods am eating but learning what triggers my eating habit. Like sodas.. TV.. idleness ..boredom ..
Old 11-09-2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
The problem with a food addiction is, than unlike drugs or alcohol, you have to eat. You can avoid the other addictive substances, but you can't avoid food. When I could eat cookies, there was no such thing as 'just one.'

I left food on my plate for what may have been the first time in my life tonight. It's a strange, but nice feeling. The dogs liked it.
Keep leaving the food then, you have to keep those dogs happy!!! The only people food I let my dog eat is meat and it is really hard to leave that on my plate so I just feed him from the table :shock: