Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machines >

Sewing machines

Sewing machines

Old 04-03-2010, 05:14 AM

I have a Bernina 200E for sale. It's been serviced and ready for more fun sewing/embroidering. All original attachments and the wheeled carrying case is included. If you're near Houston, TX, the Bernina dealer offers free classes.

If you're interested, please let me know.
The only reason I'm selling it is to help fund my new Bernina 830.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Gayle
Leslee, I have a Janome 4900 and I do not like it. When fabric becomes stuck in the machine, it is very hard to get the foot plate off in order to get the fabric out of the jam. The screw is in a place that requires a very small screw driver to get it out and it is very difficult to use. The bobbin is always popping out of place and I constantly have to adjust it. It is also very touchy about threading the needle. It has lots of bells and whistles but the problems I am having is just not worth it. Don't buy this Janome!
Does your machine come with a straight stitch plate or just the zig zag. I have the 6600 and purchased the straight stitching plate. This should help with your problem, if its available for your machine. :D
Old 04-03-2010, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Leslee
My main sewing machine is a family heirloom--a Singer from the 30's in a wood cabinet. Betsy can sew forward and reverse, she's solid metal and indestructable! I'd never part with her...but I do get to wishing for a sturdy, portable machine with loads of embroidery stitches so I could do more machine applique. Has anyone done any recent comparisons between brands? What do you love or dread when you sit down at your own sewing machines?
You're talking about 2 different types of stitches, applique and embroidery. Unless you go with an all in one you won't get both. If you just want applique (i.e. blanket, heirloom, alaphbet, etc.) I just purchased a 6600 which I adore.

If you want embroidery, Janome has a 11000 or there's 2 Husqvarna's(sp?) the Diamond big $$$ and the Designer Less $$. The Janome 11000 is still less $$$ than the other 2.

Do you really want embroidery or just a lot of decorative stitches? It actually depends on what you want. I personally just went through all of this approx. a month ago and it was mind-boggling.

Also, Janome is coming out with a new machine that is going to replace the 6600 in May. Looks like it has a lot more, yet! This is a good time to pick-up a 6600 at a good price!!! You know, getting rid of stock!!! :lol: :lol:
Old 04-07-2010, 07:41 AM

I have the Bernina 1230; an older machine but I love it. I will never own another brand. I did have to buy a walking foot because it didn't come with one, but that purchase has been invaluable. Definately get a walking foot. As far as machines, I have my eye on the Bernina 830. When I win the lottery I'm gonna get me one!! HaHa
Old 04-07-2010, 07:58 AM

Just added a Brother SQ 9000 to my collection of machines...he he that brings me to 3. Now keep in mind the new Brother machine isn't expensive and doesn't have all the bells & whisles but it had just about everything I wanted in a machine.So far just in playing around w/ it this weekend I think I am going to like it.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:50 PM

I use a plain old straight stitch Singer for my piecing, but a few years back I was involved with a barter group and got a New Home Memory Craft 7000 that I love too. (since I traded it for stuff I didn't want, it was essentially FREE!)Then I came across an antique New Home treadle...still has the manual, attachments and warranty paper...and it looks like the belts have never even been turned - don't think it has ever been used. The cabinet is also in excellent condition..the only thing missing is the box cover, but since it has a swing cover it is nicely stored away...only paid $200 for it....of course, it is just a piece of beautiful furniture...hate
to be the first to actually sew on it!