Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machines >

Sewing machines

Sewing machines

Old 12-05-2006, 05:33 PM

Hi Leslee,

I had a Singer, Brother, have used a Viking frequently, and now have a Pfaff.

I love the Pfaff and bought it for the variety of stitches, the ability to embroider as well as the IDT, the integrated dual feed technology. All the bells and whistles are great, but I did NOT know that software to create your own embroidery or to do large patterns was an extra $2000! I don't really need it, but it would have been nice to know. Also, when I got it, it was a floor model so there wasn't a book or very much info with it. I had to learn by doing, researching online and badgering the life out of sewing center staff. One thing I really don't like is that the needle threader has broken TWICE - during the embroidery process, the plastic arm has snapped! True, the sewing center did replace it, but they make it seem as if it is my fault.

I understand it can be used with smaller grace frames for machine quilting but have yet to purchase one. If I had to do this purchase over again, I would really do more research and I think find a national brand with a close LOCAL store with ladies who are sewing experts - not just people hired by a company to pitch sales or guys who repair the machines and don't sew. My largest trouble has been not having a manual and the steep learning curve that came with learning embroidery. Hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:51 PM

Leslee, I have a Janome 4900 and I do not like it. When fabric becomes stuck in the machine, it is very hard to get the foot plate off in order to get the fabric out of the jam. The screw is in a place that requires a very small screw driver to get it out and it is very difficult to use. The bobbin is always popping out of place and I constantly have to adjust it. It is also very touchy about threading the needle. It has lots of bells and whistles but the problems I am having is just not worth it. Don't buy this Janome!
Old 12-08-2006, 08:58 AM

Minda, is your Bernina the PE "patchwork edition" ? Because I noticed only the machines designed by rocket scientists at Bernina have the stitch regulator and I was wondering if it was something I'd miss. Can you do freehand motion quilting on the 230? I think the stitch regulator's way out of my budget, but I'd love it... :roll:
Old 12-08-2006, 11:00 AM

Lesslie: I have had a Phaff since the 80"s and I have sewed alot and I mean alot on it and it has never needed a repair of any kind. what model do you have? If you email Phaff Co. they could get you a manuel. you could copy my manuel but my machine is much older then yours. I also have a Janome 10001 and paid a fourtune for it I love it but wish I had bought another Phaff instead. I want a machine just for quilting and when I can afford it I will buy another Phaff straight stitch. Since I have been on these lists I have heard so many people complain about the service they get and the rudness of staff. I have been very lucky I havent run into this but if I did the co. would know about it and I would find a new dealer. Chris
Old 12-08-2006, 01:32 PM

Chris, you know that saying about "They don't make 'em like they used to"? I think it more than applies to sewing machines. Those older, all-metal beauties work like champions...it's probably even silly (or lazy!) of me to want something new. I'm so intrigued by all the embroidery stitches the new machines have. My little Singer, "Betsy" is 68 years old but we all know women who love the Featherweights, etc. that're even older and still going strong. Perhaps I should save a few hundred dollars and take a class in hand embroidery???! :P
Old 12-08-2006, 04:00 PM

Lesslee: you gave me my chuckle for the day. I have news for you I have done the hand work and most of it never gets done it takes so long. Another idea is to put feelers out on lists for someone who is going up a step or two in machines and their machines are in wonderful shape. you can get these at a good price and there is always ebay. But keep checking around and you will find what you want. Good luck and don't give up Chris
Old 12-08-2006, 05:24 PM

Leslee, The Bernina 230 does not have a stitch regulator. It's a nice machine to use as a portable. I also have a Bernina with a stitch regulator which I really need. My free motion quilting without the regulator isn't as nice as I think it should be.

Minda
Old 12-09-2006, 10:08 PM

Thanks for the advice, Minda. I'm going to a Bernina shop tomorrow (12/10) and I'm going to ask to test-drive the 240. I've discovered that the stitch regulator is only on the rocket-scientist model with the price tag to match :cry: Oh well. But way up on my list is free-motion quilting so I'll ask lots of questions. Heck, you take a look at my hand stitching, anything's an improvement! :roll:
Old 12-11-2006, 08:41 AM

I have very old sewing machine Fleetwood made in Japan.40 years old but in good condition.It does not have embroidery or zigzag.can I use it for quilting.Feed dogs dont drop fully.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:51 AM

I have a question regarding sewing machines - as I am fairly new to quilting and now need a new sewing machine, should I get a mechanical one or electronic one and what is essential on it that I should look for? :?