Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else on a budget? >

Anyone else on a budget?

Anyone else on a budget?

Old 03-07-2011, 03:06 AM

I am now. Most of my budget is going toward gas for a while.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:07 AM

i have a sign hanging on the wall. 'don't buy anything materialistic.' except for a new pair of tennis shoes this yr, so far i am doing pretty good. not perfect, but good...
Old 03-07-2011, 03:09 AM

I made a pact with myself for 2011. No more stash building for 2011, with the exception of Christmas fabrics which were liquidated in January.

I also have a list going of projects I want/need to do. So once I finish the 2 quilts I am working on now, I will start a project on my list with fabrics I already have. At the end of the year I will assess what was done and what is needed for 2012 and then when the sales go on in January I will buy what I need for 2012.

This will keep me from spending the kids college funds on fabric and also keep me from starting 30 projects at a time :)
Old 03-07-2011, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

i would expect the question to be...
Anyone not on a budget?
in this economy i do not know anyone who gets to quilt without having a budget...would have to win a really good lottery to be able to go off the budget.
i scrimp and save, quilt for others and sell my quilts to be able to support my hobby.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:46 AM

I don't have a budget technically. For too many years when the kids were growing up I had to pinch pennies. Now that it is just me, if I want something I get it. But I still buy fabric on sale unless I need something specific to finish a quilt. I don't travel, and pay my credit card off at the end of every month. Only use it when it is easier than carrying a large amount of money, like buying dog food (2 BIG dogs), vet bills (Gus's surgery) etc. I know how much money I can spend each month and am careful not to go over that. I hang laundry out when I can, hit "cancel" on the dry cycle of the dishwasher, do laundry with cold water, save my dehumidifier water to water plants, fill fish tank etc. Also have rain barrels to water the flowers.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:54 AM

I don't have a budget. I have been very lucky to be able to buy what I want when I want. I only do kits, and have very little fabric stash. I have made a promise to myself not to buy anything else until I am down to ten kits. I have over 60, plus my penny rug kits. Then I will start on the projects and patterns I have been collecting on will only buy fabric one at a time.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by roda
We own a car wash and I was having to clean out the vacuums I was useing the money I found in those to buy my stash(some will think thats gross) but $150.00 a month buys a lot of fabric.
You GO, Girl!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 05:36 AM

Your question was, "Anyone else on a budget" and to that I say, yes, apparently everyone but the Federal government, LOL. Sorry, had to vent.

I am also on a budget because I absolutely must start using my fabric stash more. I have two 3-drawer plastic containers full. Now I know, to some of you, that is a pittance, but it's growing, it's growing. :roll:
Old 03-07-2011, 05:37 AM

All the people around my community is on a very tight budget because of Groceries,gas,animal food. ect.So no it is not just you I think every one is on some kind of a budget.Some just don't admit it.I know several people buy used clothing,only name brand of course.If I like it.It does not matter the name on it just so it fits and looks good on me.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:46 AM

DH and I stopped using credit cards 2 years ago. The interest was getting out of hand. Everything cash. I also recieve SS so, each month I try to put a little bit away each month and then when we travel to see the kids and grandbabies. I have enough to go shopping in either Hancock or Joanne's. Since there is no, quilt shop near me at all