Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else on a budget? >

Anyone else on a budget?

Anyone else on a budget?

Old 03-12-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jill
I have lived on a budget my whole adult life. It drives my DH crazy but he realizes he is terrible with money so I handle the finances. A year ago I stopped buying so much fabric and started using my stash. I only buy for special gifts or when I need some backing. I also use coupons at JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby. I have always made it a habit to transfer money left in checking over to savings on paydays. Sometimes it isn't very much, but you'd be surprised how quickly it can add up.
I do that with my left over pension money. It goes into a Christmas account and I only use the pension money I receive every fortnight. I have been able to save big money and I save for something particular like my new for me Brother Embroidery machine. I only but fabric when I need it lately.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by redvette54
I don't buy anything with a credit card, use coupons, if I'm going to Joann's. At the end of each day, I put my change in a jar. Once or twice a year, I cash in my change and take a day trip to Shipsawana.
I've started using cash instead of the credit card. I also never spend change & put it in a pickle jar. I've done this for 4 yrs. but, this yr., I find that my credit union now charges 5% to run it through their counting machine. I felt ripped off but have no choice. I could hardly lift that jar. They said it was to maintain the machine but I still hated it. Still beats rolling all of it I guess.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

The bank I use has a change counter machine and it's free to use if you have an account there. The total goes right into your account or cash. It's amazing how fast change adds up.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:01 PM

I am usually on a budget but have been spending more than normal since the news of fabric prices going to raise.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:39 PM

Gee, I have that book! I had better read read it! I don't have to put myself on a budget, it is more like I want too! A person can get out of control, when you know all the clerks on first name basi at all the LQS's might be a clue! Seemed like a good idea.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:40 PM

That is a great idea!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:42 PM

Ok, I spent the last of my envelope money today! Went .05 cents over budget! I can deal with that!Happy though with my controlled budget! Still have 10 days to go, but don't need anything and I got some fabric money rolling back into the envelope Saturday! Yea, I like this game!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:47 PM

I agree. Have worked since I was 16, knowing I was going to have to support myself in some way better than just Social Sacurity. I remember my grandmother, in the 60's getting a tiny amount to live on. I'm 62, and will work to 66 to finally reap the beneit of the full amount. Hope it's still there.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:14 AM

I understand that! My biggest habit is this sewing thing and a person can drop a bunch of money on this so easily. Last week I went into the lqs to buy a pack of needles, yikes. I spent $32. They had a great sale, so I got more than needles, this is a hard budget to stay on for sure!
Not sure how long I will work, but I want to work as long as I can. The better off we would be.