Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else on a budget? >

Anyone else on a budget?

Anyone else on a budget?

Old 03-08-2011, 07:39 AM

My husband and I do the envelope method for groceries, gas, and spending money. We also cancelled all credit cards so that there is no potential to spend what we don't have. Of course we also put money in the bank for a true emergency, unfortunately buying fabric is not an emergency! I wish it was....
Old 03-08-2011, 08:13 AM

My husband and I recently had to close our business of 12 years due to this crazy economy and it has been quite an adjustment. Luckily I had a pretty large stash of fabric. Quilting has helped me deal with the stress. I have tops galore but no batting. When thing loosen up I will be quilting like a mad woman!!LOL
Old 03-08-2011, 01:58 PM

Oh my goodness yes.. I have lived on a pretty tight budget all my life.. I don't mind, I have enough and some to share.. that's all I need..
Old 03-08-2011, 03:50 PM

Now we are retired and have only one income it has been a learning curve which brought me right back to when my children were young and I paid cash for everything as as you say if you don't have it, you don't spend it. Also used to have money in envelopes for the bills as they arrived or for school uniforms. I managed ok and didn't feel I was losing out on anything.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:12 PM

we're on a tight budget too. I'm a teacher so there's an immediate need to budget. Then my DH's car died and we now have car payments as well as the mortgage and regular bills. I've been doing a lot of shopping from my stash so far!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Gal

Yes, I am on a budget, I think I learned to be thrifty after watching my parents struggle with 6 kids and only my fathers wage coming in, there are many things which I would love to buy but at the end of the day I don't really need them!
My husband and I are pretty good at budgeting, we make all our own meals fresh, we don't eat out, we buy second hand and over the net on trade me, I use recycled clothing mostly for my quilts, or fabric from op shops etc. We do not have credit cards and pay all bills as soon as they hit the mat.
We do not owe anyone anything money wise, we live a fairly simple life style which suits us. I have been a sewer all my life beginning with making my own clothes from the age of about 15 and going on to make things for the home like curtains and bed covers cushions rugs etc. We enjoy our life style, being as we are we have managed to pay off our wee cottage own a couple of cars, put our daughter through college and son through polytechnic. We have also put a bit by for our retirement and when my husband retires next year we shall be better off so that is something to look forward to!

Gal
Old 03-08-2011, 05:02 PM

I am always on a budget. I only spend very little. I get excited when I get what I am needing for just a few $. One time I left the LQS and only spent $1.xx. =) I do work but what DH and I make goes to pay for everything. We do have a family of 7. With 5 kids I don't like to spend money on myself so I just try to spend very little. I try to go to the shop as little as possible. This way the temptation is not there. We don't have credit cards either so that is good!
Old 03-08-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Leota
Are you talking a general budget or a fabric/supplies budget?
General budget is DH job...
fabric budget is "I need ______ color/style of fabric and I don't have anything in my stash... store has a 50% off sale and I have an additional 10-15% off if I got during xxx hours....
yep, I am talking "fabric budget" this is apparently my weakness!
Old 03-08-2011, 05:47 PM

A lady I know doesn't buy anything at all unless it is on sale and she has a coupon! I stopped in the fabric store last nite and looked and looked. Didn't buy a thing, decided to go home and look thru my stash again!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I didn't think SS was suppose to be the principal retirement income, only supplement retirement income. It's scary how many people do not save or plan for retirement. My first real paycheck I put 10% in a retirement fund, not enough for me to miss and just enough to get the ball rolling. I remember at age eighteen feeling so responsible by having a retirement account. It's was my security blanket.
If you are married at a young age such as I and you are a stay at home Mom as I was you would understand. I had my own Business when my DD were at home. I was a dog groomer for over 20 years. It just took so much to take care of 2 DD give them what they needed,Braces,material things there really was not much to put up for savings. I sewed my DD play clothes ETC. I worked As A Vet. Tech. a county job,had benefits. Quit that one aft. 4 yrs. Then became a Paraprofessional for 15 yers. had 19 yrs in FL. Retirement. So I have a small income other that SS. I am one of the lucky ones. There are more people on SS only than you realize and you are one lucky person if you don't ever have to be one of them. If you have kids to feed you can't even put up 10%. Most would love to save or be able to put into a 401K. I for one could not find a way to do so until my kids were grown and gone. That is when I was able to work for 20 yrs for a retirment to supplement my SS. not the other way around. :shock: Just my 2 cents worth. OOOPS!! forgot My DH was a very good provider and He has a retirement also to Supplement SS like me. We both are retired He is disabled. But we did the best we could We feel blessed that we have what we do :wink: BillsBonBon