Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else on a budget? >

Anyone else on a budget?

Anyone else on a budget?

Old 03-08-2011, 06:54 PM

I have always been on a budget. I allow myself x amount every month. Most months I don't spend at all. But if I don't have it for a new project I'll go get it. Lately the only thing I have needed is batting. And I purchase that with a coupon. And I buy in king size. I am conservative in all areas. But there's also room for improvement. My dh got laid off 2 yrs ago. After 17 yrs and no pension.Our eyes really opened. We only had 401 and our savings. Luckly he was offered another job right away. The company he's with now has a pension plan and that really helps. So he has to be employed with them for 8 yrs to be fully invested. He has 6 to go. I work also but only part time. What I do for me is I take 1 paycheck a month(I get paid every 2 weeks)... and I get a savings bond. I am 48 yrs old. Have been doing this for 8 years. This is my pension. I want to be able to stop working by the time I'm 53. And this will help me do it. Always looking to save my silver change too! And have!! I have cashed in my change after 7 months collecting and I had 520.00 Saving my change really helps! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 03-08-2011, 07:15 PM

I am on a very strict budget and it is HARD. I have to buy the material for a quilt a little bit at a time. I don't have a "stash" of any kind. I now have a quilt top and I am waiting until I have an extra $20 to buy the border and binding material. Then I will get the money for the batting and backing. I see people posting 2-3 quilts they have already finished this year and I am patiently waiting to buy what I need for the one and only I am working on. Then I remind myself I am lucky to have a safe, dry home to live in etc....
Old 03-09-2011, 04:20 AM

I am trying real hard to stay in my fabric budget. Luckily I built a bit of a stash from garage sales, estate sales & great sales at fabric stores this last year. I love to find bargains. That is on my agenda for this year!
Old 03-09-2011, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by fktsewing
I put myself on a budget of $20 a month. Once it is gone, then nothing for the rest of the month. I also try to only buy what I need for a particular project. I do have a list that is kept with the money for things I need to find. Seems to be working
That is what I am doing also. It is so easy to get caught up in quilting and get carried away on spending. I think the cash in the envelope thing is working for me so far, but then this is my first month!
Old 03-09-2011, 06:55 AM

Budget??
Old 03-09-2011, 12:30 PM

I am on a budget since I live on a small income. Am always looking for bargains and can hardly wait for the garage sales to start when the wether gets better.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Leota
Are you talking a general budget or a fabric/supplies budget?
General budget is DH job...
fabric budget is "I need ______ color/style of fabric and I don't have anything in my stash... store has a 50% off sale and I have an additional 10-15% off if I got during xxx hours....
We have the same sort of budget in our quilt shop. We keep 6 of each color and no more, and I only buy what will fit on our fabric shelves,no bags or boxes in the floor. That way it looks neater and better to the customer and is better for our business finances. I make sure that we don't mix personal money with business money.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:48 AM

I think we will all have to be. I couldn't believe it when I saw fabric at walmarts today for 10 and 12 dollars a yard. My lqs and johanns is cheaper than that. What a shocker.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Banned

good idea.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:53 PM

I have a budget of $125.00 a month. But I have a quilt shop. That amount has to cover fabric to restock what I used to build back up the shelves for the customers to choose from, thread,rotary blades,batting,everything I need to make quilts with for the next month even tracing paper or chalk refills.I won't mix my money with the shop money. That is the only way I can tell how much money I'm actually making.