Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • New Baby.... Teacup Chihuahua >
  • New Baby.... Teacup Chihuahua

• New Baby.... Teacup Chihuahua

Old 03-13-2011, 08:56 PM

Oh how CUTE!!!!
    Old 03-13-2011, 09:28 PM

This made me smile. He is sooooo adorable. I have a chihuahua as well. Was told he would be a teacup, but he is about 5 pounds. I just love him to pieces, and he is spoiled rotten.
    Old 03-13-2011, 09:54 PM

I have a 10 yo Chi. Mouse is my avatar pic.
    1. He has a bell on his collar so we can hear him and he is never lost.
    2. Every visitor that comes in the house gives him a treat(cheerios are great little and cruchy and it just takes one for a treat) or if its near feeding time they feed him. And not just one person feeds him. Everyone in the house, even boyfriends take turns feeding him.
    3. Sleeves off of sweat shirts make perfect sweaters. The cuff goes around the dogs neck and cut to leg holes for the front legs. cut the sleeve to fit the lenght of the dog.
    4. We let/insisted that everyone pet him when he was little. He is very sweet and our vet says he has never met a Chi that hasn't bitten him, except for Mouse.
    5. He is not allowed to growl or nip at anyone, he gets a firm NO and then we get the puppy dog eyes and melt :).
    6. Fleece makes wonderful blankies. We have several that rotate through the wash.
    7. He is crate trained. This comes in handy when traveling and when little ones 3yrs and younger are around.
    8. Potty training. My Grandmother taught me this one. When you catch him "going" use a certin phrase and keep repeating it while he is "going". We use "hurry up". Then praise him when he 'goes' in the right place. We took him out side many, many times during the day and night when he was little, we would take him to the door make him sit and then encourage him to bark, take him out and watch him till he went, say 'hurry up' then praise him. Took about three weeks. Now if we have to go some where we just tell him to hurry up and he goes on command. Its very handy we travel alot. I also had outside cats growing up and we put a small cow bell low on the wall by the door. The cats were trained to ring the bell to go outside. Funny my dobbie learned how to ring the bell from the cats and thats how he would ask to go out.
    9. If you have a fenced in yard you may need to get some chicken wire to put along the bottom of the fence so he dosent get out. Yep learned this the hard way.
    Congrats on your new fur baby. He is beautiful.
    Old 03-13-2011, 10:20 PM

Looks like a mug rug would do just fine for a quilt for him. What a peanut. Our Rottweiler (sp) is 110 lbs and would love this little guy.
    Old 03-13-2011, 10:22 PM

Cute...it will be hard not to spoil him rotten!! He now needs a mug mat to sit on and a litte bit bigger to cover up with!!
    Old 03-13-2011, 10:24 PM

Oh!!! what a cutie....
    Old 03-13-2011, 10:30 PM

Oh how sweet!
    Old 03-13-2011, 10:34 PM

Yep train him asap! I have a chi-poo. I call her my chi- a - pet! She was tiny at first but not that tiny! I put a bell on her so I would know where she was. Didn't want to step on her! The only thing bad happened was she got caught inside recliner when it gOt shut but was so tiny she was fine I wasn't! Went to obedience classes. She is 7 lbs now but still the light of my life! Along with hubby! Good luck and love him lots!!
    Old 03-13-2011, 11:05 PM

My sister and BIL had two of them and after retiring, they traveled in a big motor home. The two Chihuahuas were excellent guards at night, no one could come near the motor home without the dogs yelling loud enough to wake DSis and BIL. They trained them more or less like large dogs. They asked to be let out when necessary, and DSister and DBIL had a small, movable fence they would unfold in a hurry for them to "go" in.

On the other hand, one my DM had was spoiled rotten and Mom insisted on taking that mutt with her everywhere. We all grew to hate Mousie, who was, indeed, house trained. She would only go IN the house, any house but her own, usually under a bed when visiting.

Train the little cutie and you'll see how intelligent they are.
    Old 03-13-2011, 11:06 PM

I agree with what everyone else has said :D
    A couple of things about tiny dogs. First, make friends with your vet ;) I've had 2 dogs under 5 pounds and they are fragile. The first was a tiny Pom...he was my first puppy as a "grown up"...LOL.... I was all of 18. Anyway...I let a little girl hold him and she dropped him and broke both bones in his leg. He was so small that I did not train him like we had always done our big dogs when I grew up and it was a HUGE mistake. He never learned to "stop" or "come" on command. Long story short, he chased cars and a boyfriend let him out and he broke loose and chaised a car with his leash on and was killed.
    The 2nd one was a little chi like your baby. This one was only about 3.5 pounds and was sick alot. Honestly, she was a little runt and we rescued her so she's probably not a great example. She finally got sick at about 7 years old and passed away from Liver failure.
    The point here is to watch her carefully especially if she ends up under 5 pounds. The little girl I have now in my avatar is FINALLY right at 5 pounds and I'm hoping it will bring me better luck. I do have to watch her with the eating thing though. They seem to go through these little stages where they don't want to eat much for a day but they are too little and it will make them sick. The vet can tell you what to give them if that happens. Also be careful when taking her outside because of owls, fox, etc. The only other thing is that you might have trouble finding a small enough crate. We put our little girl in one of those little house boxes from Build a Bear the first couple of weeks. I can't believe she actually had so much room in that tiny box..LOL :D She did real well in not messing up her little "house" but she was older when we got her....like 4 months I think. We tried the small crate and she immediately used the back half as her bathroom and made a little divider with her blankie and slept in the front...LOL :D
    Other than that....Enjoy her....they are soooo fun! :D :D