Why pay for Priority mail?

Old 03-17-2011, 04:00 AM

there is some confusion about PM vs. FCM - they go in the same mail stream from what I have heard. Priority is a way to get "first class" service for items over 13 ounces. I would not expect a PM package to go any faster than a FC package. And you can get tracking on first class if it is a "package" (not a letter or flat).
Old 03-17-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Well, it might have been helpful if you mentioned in your original post here:
I am using the tracking number to follow it online and it shows that it has sat in the local post office since Sat. March 12.
that the post office you were referencing was your own, and the postmaster you wanted to contact was also local.
That's what "local" means...that it's my local p.o. Otherwise I would have said "their" p.o. :|
Sorry if it was misunderstood.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:55 AM

It is only tracked if you pay extra. Ask me how I know? Also I find 1st Class much more reliable and cheaper. I had one package I paid $4.95 for Priority, it was lost and I sent the second 1st Class for $1.90. I personally think Priority is a rip off.

Originally Posted by donnajean
Speak to the postmaster at your post office. I think they may refund your $ if you paid for Priority Mail. It does not hurt to complain. I have received refunds.

If it had been sent 1st Class Mail, there would be no way to track it. I ship Priority Mail & it is scanned from my doorstep when picked up.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:00 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
Originally Posted by MTS
Well, it might have been helpful if you mentioned in your original post here:
I am using the tracking number to follow it online and it shows that it has sat in the local post office since Sat. March 12.
that the post office you were referencing was your own, and the postmaster you wanted to contact was also local.
That's what "local" means...that it's my local p.o. Otherwise I would have said "their" p.o. :|
Sorry if it was misunderstood.
"Their" being the qualifier. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Old 03-17-2011, 06:22 AM

I would request a refund UNLESS this package is coming from outside the US in which case Customs is the culprit and you can't do anything about it. I just went through this when my wonderful vintage red eye Singer was coming to me from Canada. It sat in Chicago for a few days. Also when I tracked it, it was still saying that it was in Chicago Customs while the mailman was knocking on my front door with my beautiful Canadian Rose (her name now). LOL

Originally Posted by donnajean
Speak to the postmaster at your post office. I think they may refund your $ if you paid for Priority Mail. It does not hurt to complain. I have received refunds.

If it had been sent 1st Class Mail, there would be no way to track it. I ship Priority Mail & it is scanned from my doorstep when picked up.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:33 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

As far as I know, the only GUARANTEED services are Express Mail, and Global Express Guaranteed. Mail sent using these services is supposed to arrive by a certain time. And you will pay extra for this.

All other classes of mail will be there when they get there. Though USPS says "your packages reach their destination in 2-3 days", they do not make a promise about that. And of course, Sundays do not count in that 2-3 day total.

In our experience, packages DO generally get delivered in 2-3 days (not counting Sundays), though weather can cause delays, and the few days before Christmas are also "dicey".
Old 03-17-2011, 06:36 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
As far as I know, the only GUARANTEED services are Express Mail, and Global Express Guaranteed. Mail sent using these services is supposed to arrive by a certain time. And you will pay extra for this.
:thumbup: As is clearly stated on the USPS website.
And, I think, those Dec 24th deliveries have a cut-off ship by time/date even for guaranteed services, where the PO is absolves themselves - with full disclosure - of getting it there by then.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
I have been waiting for a package that was picked up from the sender on March 11.
They sent it Priority mail.
Priority is supposed to deliver in 2 - 3days, correct?
It's now March 16 and I don't have it.
I wonder how often we pay for Priority mail but don't really get it. My friend could have sent it First Class and it'd get here in the same amount of time for less money.
Grrr.
If it doesn't arrive today I'm going to call the Post Master and complain although it won't really do any good.
I hear ya, it never works here, so now when it is offered, I say yes it is a priority but I don't want to pay, because it never gets there in that time, she said you can apply for a refund yada yada yada .
Old 03-17-2011, 08:14 AM

I was in a online swap. I sent stamps for the return postage. The swapper put the strips in the priority package and put the stamps on. At her local post office they sent it parcel post. Turns out they suspect anything of being a bomb if it's not handed to the postal clerk and declared to be "non dangerous". It took almost a month for the package to get to my house.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:29 PM

I sent a package Priority Mail and the buyer didn't get it for almost 2 weeks. The package sat in a post office somewhere in Texas for a loooooong time. When I complained at the post office I was told that the 2-3 day delivery isn't guaranteed, and no refund! :hunf: