Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
my husband just diagnosed with diabetes >

my husband just diagnosed with diabetes

my husband just diagnosed with diabetes

Old 03-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Power Poster

Here's a nice treat especialy in the warm weather-chop 4-5 strawberries coarsely. put them in a bowl. add 1/4 c boiling water and 1 pkg strawberry sugar free jello. stir till jello is melted. stir in 2- 6 oz cups yoplait light strawberry yogerts.fold in 1 8oz sugar free cool whip.refrigerate for 3 hours till set. yummy with a dollup of cool whip on top. you can change it to peach or blueberry orange,pineapple or whatever flavor you want.just change the fruit and flavors of jello and yogerts.This makes a good sized bowl and next to no sugar in it. Enjoy Mary
Old 03-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

I should have told you this is like a moose type dessert with little sugar,salt,fat.My brother hates yogert but asks for this at family get togethers.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by zennia
Mr.Food has a good recipe book for diabetics. he wrote it with Miss America who also is a diabetic. I have made several of his recipes and liked them all.
Another hint-when making spaghetti I use 1/2 spaghetti and 1/2 zuchinni cut in long narrow strips. Green beads are also good with pasta sauce.
a diabetic must count carbs. I went to the Atkins web site and was able to order,for free, a book called "Atkins Comprehensive CARB counter and Acceptable foods. Its pocket size so you can carry it in your purse.
Another tool I use is www.myfitnesspal.com You put all your info. in and it keeps track of how many carbs,calories etc. you eat daily. its good when you are not sure if you are eating to many or to little carbs. It sure helps me.
There are many low carb recipe sites out there. Here is one of my favorites
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html
Good luck, hope this helps.
Thanks for the www.genaw.com website! I checked out the recipes and am really impressed. I spent an hour printing some of them, especially the soups. Good low-carb soups are hard to find. The low-carb cracker recipes look very good, too. Again, thanks!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:15 PM

It takes awhile to get over your sweet tooth. But if you allow one bite from time to time it is not an impossibility.

With being a potato, bread, rice etc...cook just change to sweet potatos, red potatos, they are lower glycemic,
brown rice and
bread must be 100% whole wheat it is slower to digest and spike insulin.
So just limit those things to whatever diet he is given men get more than women and he will be ahead. Just remember the slower it absorbs the better.
Use the glycemic index for lower sugar veggies and fruits. Watermellon, pineapple and one more are the highest fruits.

steam veggies and
I use real foods no diet sugars, no artificial margerines, butter only and Oh for low glycemic sugars use the new Agave syrup it is good and slow to digest.

For cold drinks when out I use iced tea and 1/4 lemonjuice called Arnold Palmer. But I steer clear of Equal and all those sweetners. At home I mix enough juice of choice into ice water just for flavor.
Iced Soy Latte's are good and not high calorie like the cream and sugar ones. I do use a diet syrup in those but I get them once every 6 mo or so.
Good luck, AlamoAA
Old 03-18-2011, 11:30 PM

Sorry to hear about your DH and Diabetes / boarderline. My son in law found out he is a diabetic and went to a nutritionist: Learned a lot. He had to leave grapes alone. Way to high. but he could have old fashioned oats, (said they were a free count re: carbs) for munchies they suggested SALT free almonds. He was also told he could have up to 45 cards per meal (all are probably different) I lost 25 lbs on his diet.) He could had 3 snacks a day. There are a lot of free count foods which are very nice. Check around for bread. I use to buy mine at Walmart. Can't remember the name (grain) BIG slices and only about (I think) 14 carbs. Seems to me you take the fiber count off things like apples and get the true carb count. We found it interesting once we got into it. Found it was easier to just leave all sweets alone, even sugar free, Made him crave more. (he was always a sweet eater) Well, here I am writing a story,. lol. sorry. Best of luck and there really are some great foods.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:59 AM

One of the books that helped us in a similar situation is the Better Homes and Gardens New Diabetic Cookbook. There are a lot of creative - and still satisfying - recipes. (My husband doesn't like me to try new recipes. So it was a real treasure to find this one and use it. He was surprised that he liked them.)
Old 03-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Google Goddess

My husband was a diabetic since 4th grade up until 1999. He was on 3 shots of insulin a day.

I went with him to the diabetic doctor before we got married (married in 1975) and the Dr. got me with a Nutritionist and I learned how to calculate the carbohydrates, fats, protein in his meals. I still have all of the information. I would take the labels off of cans and put in a scrapbook to be able to get info off of the labels when making new recipes. I would take 4 x 6 index cards and create a meal for him and it was handy to use.

In 1998 he had kidney failure due to his severe diabetic over the years and was on home dialysis. On September 18, 1999 he got a new kidney and pancreas. He is no longer a diabetic.

No longer a diabetic. Be sure to have him take his insulin, watch what he eats, exercise etc.
We would ride our bikes every night after work and he stayed the same weight all of the time at 132 pounds.

Also your Dr. can get your free cookbooks and other information. Just ask your Dr.

If you need any more help, you can send me a Private message (pm) so I can help you more.

Craftybear

Originally Posted by quilter 1234
Any good help for a new diabetic cook.... my husband was just diagnosed with border line diabetis. I am a pasta, potato , meat, cooker... need help fast... quilter 1234
Old 03-20-2011, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

I am glad you found and like the site I posted. I use a lot of their recipes. Something else I make is take sugar free jello and sprinkle it on cottage cheese. A nice sweet treat.
I am pre diabetic and hope never to become insulin dependent so I am always looking for ideas/recipes to try. Do you have a support group to attend? They can be very helpful. I just learned the other day about Nestles fat free hot chocolate. 20 calories and 4 grams carbs. Very tasty to. If I find more ideas I will pass them on to you.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:36 AM
Power Poster

Another good recipe book American Diabetic Association "More Diabetic Meals in 30 min. or Less" by Robyn Webb. I got mine at Barnes&Nobles.
I love to cook so I am always looking for more recipes.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:00 PM

My DH is border line and his doc has him on a low carb diet! He gets 150 carbs aday!