Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Log Cabin quilt ruined >
  • Log Cabin quilt ruined

• Log Cabin quilt ruined

Old 04-06-2011, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    Originally Posted by waladopa
    I sent my first quilt top, an oversized king size log cabin, to a relative to quilt. She has a quilting machine and she said she would do it cheap. The problem is, I got what I paid for.
    The quilt is ruined unless I rip out everything she did. The quilt is full of puckers.
    Does anyone have any advice?
    Should I just start ripping?
    I don't want to hurt the relatives feelings but I won't be sending her anymore quilts to quilt.
    I'd have to go have good cry then sit down with a cup of tea (or glass of wine) and a seam ripper.

That's what I would do also....I feel awful for you but since you put so much work and love into your quilt it is well worth your time to rip it out and finish it yourself so you will be happy with the outcome.
    Old 04-06-2011, 02:25 AM

so sorry that happened, maybe you can have an 'unsewing' party with some friends or fellow quilters?
    My heart goes out to you as it is such a dissapointment
    Old 04-06-2011, 02:43 AM

I agree with everyone. Rip it out. I had the same thing happen to me, my quilt looked like a 3 year old was playing with momma's machine! When I brought it home to show my husband, his first words were "Was she drunk?" his second words were "You are going to rip that out, aren't you?" this from a man who doesn't even know what I do in my sewing room.

Don't worry about saving her feelings, save the quilt. Don't mention it to her. If she ever visits and sees it she will think she did an amazing job quilting it.
    Old 04-06-2011, 03:20 AM

This happened to me. Thankfully it was just a lap sized quilt but I had appliqued the whole thing. It was a pond pattern with turtles, fish etc. Someone on another board suggested I send it to one of her friends to quilt. It came back quilted in ripples, unfortunatly all the rows of stitching were evenly spaced but one and that ruined the whole quilt for me. it was so obvious. It was for my daughter because she had a pond so I gave it to her anyway but just hate the quilt everytime I see it. I'm having one quilted now for my grandaughter's graduation present and I'll be paying top dollar locally to have it quilted. It's worth it.
    Old 04-06-2011, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    Originally Posted by waladopa
    I sent my first quilt top, an oversized king size log cabin, to a relative to quilt. She has a quilting machine and she said she would do it cheap. The problem is, I got what I paid for.
    The quilt is ruined unless I rip out everything she did. The quilt is full of puckers.
    Does anyone have any advice?
    Should I just start ripping?
    I don't want to hurt the relatives feelings but I won't be sending her anymore quilts to quilt.
    I'd have to go have good cry then sit down with a cup of tea (or glass of wine) and a seam ripper.

I know I would never be happy with the quilt and ripping (although tedious) would make me feel better as would the glass of wine. This is one reason I plan to handquilt all my work.

Hurt feelings are not an issue, was this the best they could do? If so, perhaps they should practice more on their own quilts. Cost also has nothing to do with it, they offered to quilt for a price they quoted, it still should have been their best effort. Or, as my mother would say "Maybe they did a bad job so you would not bring anymore projects to them."

I know I take time and pride in my work. But most of my relatives just work as fast as they can to get the work done, no pride in their work, just speed.
    Old 04-06-2011, 04:07 AM

Since you start quilting in the middle of the quilt I would start ripping out there. That way when you baste an area, you can at least do the quilting. This way you will have most of the quilt stabilized with her terrible quilting and you can replace it with yours.
    Old 04-06-2011, 04:33 AM

Unless they are every 6 inches or so, (which I, too, would rip out entirely) I'd look for the worst ones; place a safety pin at those; then look it all over and see where the quilting stitch design starts to "pucker". Sometimes you can rip out a small area and then re-quilt it yourself, slowly and carefully by adjusting the fabric, pulling here or there and easing in the stitches. Attack one or two a day until finished. Then if you still want, you can look at the least worse puckers and so the same. It can be done.

When I started FMQ, I was the 'queen of puckers' but learned slowly and surely.
    Good luck.
    Old 04-06-2011, 04:36 AM

I also had to remove stitching from an entire quilt. Takes less time then it took to piece. You're not happy and will never be happy. Starting removing.
    Old 04-06-2011, 04:47 AM

Take out that stitching! Otherwise you'll be heart-sick every time you look at that quilt.

Might I suggest a quilting hoop? I had always done mine on a quilt-frame, and after a 15 yrs hiatus from quilting, the first quilt I did was a LARGE king size top. Since I have arthritis in my shoulder now, I thought I'd try a hoop. It worked fantastic. I could now sit in the family room in the evenings, watch TV and chat with my DH & DD's. I thought the hand quilting would take me the better part of the year, instead I had it finished in weeks!

Good luck with your project!
    Old 04-06-2011, 05:15 AM

Are the puckers all over? Front and back? Or only on the back?