Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Log Cabin quilt ruined >

Log Cabin quilt ruined

Log Cabin quilt ruined

Old 04-09-2011, 04:13 PM

Marla you are right - I think I recall the lady with the ruined quilt mentioned it was a new quilter ... not an excuse .. but explains the unprofessional job.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:36 AM

Dear Waladopa.. I see you have a calico... I did also..and when I put my (cheapie) quilt on the bed, she went at it with her claws.. I so only wall hangings now, or table covers.. I don't want to waste my time making something nice only to have one of my othe cats claw the h--- out of it.. (The store bought cheapie is still on my bed..) My poor Calico is gone now, but my Siamese & fluffy cat love to lay on the bed, and..... yes, claw ! Diana..
Old 04-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by marla
If the LA was a quilter, they would have seen if there was bias. Unless they don't know, then they are not a quilter.
The quilt I was working on did not have bias edges. The border was cut straight of grain (well actually they were precut 2 1/2 strips so most likely cut LOF). But when she assembled the quilt before the border was on the edges were all on the bias. She was a brand new quilter, this was only her 2nd quilt so she probably never realized what had happened and I suspect cut her border strips to match the edges of the quilt top instead of measuring them out and cutting them by measurement. It all worked out in the end with 3 well placed tucks in each long side and 1 well placed tuck on the top. It was a valuable learning experience for me as a new LAer to be faced with such a predicament early on. I knew as soon as I saw the quilt it had been biased edge pre-border attachment. It just didn't occur to me that the borders may not have been eased in properly until of course I got that baby on the rack. :lol:
Old 04-16-2011, 10:43 AM

[quote=feline fanatic]
Originally Posted by marla
If the LA was a quilter, they would have seen if there was bias. Unless they don't know, then they are not a quilter.
.... and didn't we all learn by learning!!! good that you figured a way to fix her problems. Did you get an opportunity to explain to her about measuring across and down the middle to get the measurements for the edges?
I suppose most of us have an ugly quilt of some sort! Or at least NOT favorite. I learned to sew on a treadle when just a kid ... for me the acronyms offered a bit of challenge .. I had no clue what an HST was .. even after it was explained, I smiled like I had a clue, and when I got home I looked it up.
Keep up the good work - you and your friends will all be pros before you know it :)