Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Log Cabin quilt ruined >

Log Cabin quilt ruined

Log Cabin quilt ruined

Old 04-07-2011, 08:26 PM

Oh I'm so sorry this happened to you. I suppose if it were me, then I would start ripping out those stitches. Since the quilt is so large, can you make it a Seam Ripper Party with some women friends??? Just a thought to try to make the best of a bad thing. {{{hugs}}}
Old 04-07-2011, 09:44 PM

Don't mention it to her. If she ever visits and sees it she will think she did an amazing job quilting it.[/quote]

I sort of like this comment - wouldn't want to hurt her feelings, & if I redid the quilt, I'd probably never say anything to the relative to spare her the embarrassment or maybe chagrin she'd feel.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:25 AM

We live and learn - and you called it : you got what you paid for. Grab the 'unsewer' and proceed with hope for the future /// it's your first and it's a labor of love. It was suggested you get a friend or 2 to help - even kids can be helpful .. don't give up your quilt. If you cannot afford to have it quilted again, do a VERY LIGHT spray basting and then some pinning - and Stitch In The Ditch yourself. If the thing is just too thick and heavy to get through your machine throat .. maybe you can do a good job of tying your quilt. But keep it, it has a life in your life.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:35 PM

No matter if the price is small or large, the quilter siad she could do the job and didn't. Take it back and tell her your very unhappy but Do Not Let Her take out the stitches. You should charge her for this labor and go to the BBB. If this is a business she should be hung to dry. I would be very angry too. You should log the hours it took to take the quilting out. I hate to hear of these things and hope you can at least get a refund. (If you paid by check, cancel the check).If this is a friend, all the better as I am sure she should understand how devestated you are. I will tell my friends in a nice way about something that bothers me. If you don't, it will burn a hole in you.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dgmoby
Originally Posted by thequilteddove
There are times that a customer's top has really full borders and/or fullness through out their tops that it's impossible not to get tucks/puckers. It isn't always something that is easily evident until it's loaded on to the LA table.
I would agree with this, except to say there is a difference between a well-placed and executed 'tuck' and a pucker that 'just happened'. A well placed tuck can be pretty much invisible, when done well. But, a pucker that just happened, well - that's what it looks like :)
I am dealing with this very scenario right now. Quilt center finished up with all bias edges and must have made the borders really wonky. Once on the rack it was evident how bad it was. The edges looked like the wavey edges of lasagna noodles while the center was nice and flat and taunt on the rack! I contacted my friend and told her I could work around by putting in spaced tucks in the border only and once quilted they look like cross seams in the border. She agreed. I am almost done with it but wow what a learning experience it has been as this is only my 6th quilt on the LA.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:57 PM

LEARNED THE HARD WAY: if you have bias edges, STAY-STITCH them, but with your longest stitch, just like you learned to do in Home Ec working on wool or linen ... a simple pull here and there on that thread (here and there) will prevent that waffley business ... also be sure to tell your L/Aer that you have a bias border and ask her/his opinion on whether there is special handling ... if there is be prepared to either take it home and fix it ----or to pay for the extra work.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:57 PM

i think you will be very sick of this quilt by the time you finish it.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:35 PM
kjg

I'm so sorry to hear that. I took my very first quilt to have it quilted and had bad results. It is a pioneer sampler. I took out what stitching I couldn't live with and hand quilted it. Now I have machine quilting and hand quilting in one quilt. I use it on the back of the couch and don't worry about it getting used. After that I only use a quilter who is recommended or one whose work I can see. I cried over my first quilt so I sure know how you feel.:(
Old 04-09-2011, 03:14 PM

I'm chuckling ... guess which quilt the family and friends will be fighting over some day!! ... They see it and associate it with love and friendly atmosphere ...probobly huggable/snuggable.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:02 PM

If the LA was a quilter, they would have seen if there was bias. Unless they don't know, then they are not a quilter.

Originally Posted by City
LEARNED THE HARD WAY: if you have bias edges, STAY-STITCH them, but with your longest stitch, just like you learned to do in Home Ec working on wool or linen ... a simple pull here and there on that thread (here and there) will prevent that waffley business ... also be sure to tell your L/Aer that you have a bias border and ask her/his opinion on whether there is special handling ... if there is be prepared to either take it home and fix it ----or to pay for the extra work.