Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Log Cabin quilt ruined >

Log Cabin quilt ruined

Log Cabin quilt ruined

Old 04-06-2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Qwiltylady
Buy 3 good seam rippers and take her stitching out. You will lose the first 2 seam rippers so be sure to buy 3.
This is a very good point! I recently purchased another 3 seam rippers after the 3 or 4 I had are currently lost. :oops:
Old 04-07-2011, 02:12 AM

I had a similar experience with my first "Stack 'n Whack" king size quilt. This was also the first time I had had a one machine-quilted. The lady who quilted it was referred to me by an acquaintance, and had not had a lot of experience on her new long-arm quilter. (That should have been a red flag for me) When I went to pick up my quilt, the lady told me it did not come out as planned and there are a lot of puckers in it. She took off about 1/3 of the price she had quoted me. I had seen some of her other work, and it was beautiful. She blamed it on the wool batting that I used, saying she had never used that before. I am not ripping mine out, have started binding it and will finish it when I get back from vacation. I would like to compare pictures with you - the puckers on my quilt actually look worse on the back. I think what upset me the most was that this lady said she had ripped it out when she first started quilting as she was having problems with it. I wish she had called me then and I would have taken it to someone else. I guess I'll just call this my "learning experience" quilt.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:33 AM

OMG, I would have the glass of wine first!
Old 04-07-2011, 02:59 AM

I remember when I first started LA quilting... I spent a lot of time ripping quilts out due to tucks, bad tension, etc. Any time those situations occur (and they some times just happen, even to the most seasoned of LA'rs). Even now, if I get tucks on the back or the tension goes wonky, I rip & redo (thank God it's not very often any more!)

My advice: When you're ripping, don't rush it and try not to get frustrated. Rip from the back of your quilt. If you were to accidently poke or tear the fabric w/your seam ripper, it would be less heart wrenching to replace the backing fabric than to damage the quilt top. When all is said & done, you'll be pleased you took the time to fix it.

PS There are times that a customer's top has really full borders and/or fullness through out their tops that it's impossible not to get tucks/puckers. It isn't always something that is easily evident until it's loaded on to the LA table. I've spent hours on cases like this trying to minimize the fullness on quilt tops, it takes a lot of practice and patience. But, when it's really bad all I can do is the best I can do with what I had to work with. Anyone who's done an extensive amount of LA work can totally relate. (Not to say this is the case w/your quilt - it's just info on some of my experiences.)
Old 04-07-2011, 03:13 AM

Don't drink & rip!!! lol
Originally Posted by justlooking
OMG, I would have the glass of wine first!
Old 04-07-2011, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by thequilteddove
I remember when I first started LA quilting... I spent a lot of time ripping quilts out due to tucks, bad tension, etc. Any time those situations occur (and they some times just happen, even to the most seasoned of LA'rs). Even now, if I get tucks on the back or the tension goes wonky, I rip & redo (thank God it's not very often any more!)

My advice: When you're ripping, don't rush it and try not to get frustrated. Rip from the back of your quilt. If you were to accidentally poke or tear the fabric w/your seam ripper, it would be less heart wrenching to replace the backing fabric than to damage the quilt top. When all is said & done, you'll be pleased you took the time to fix it.

PS There are times that a customer's top has really full borders and/or fullness through out their tops that it's impossible not to get tucks/puckers. It isn't always something that is easily evident until it's loaded on to the LA table. I've spent hours on cases like this trying to minimize the fullness on quilt tops, it takes a lot of practice and patience. But, when it's really bad all I can do is the best I can do with what I had to work with. Anyone who's done an extensive amount of LA work can totally relate. (Not to say this is the case w/your quilt - it's just info on some of my experiences.)
I would agree with this, except to say there is a difference between a well-placed and executed 'tuck' and a pucker that 'just happened'. A well placed tuck can be pretty much invisible, when done well. But, a pucker that just happened, well - that's what it looks like :)

Having many says it's an 'experience' issue, to me. Otherwise, there would have been at least a phone call to discuss options. Professional LA'ers do call when they see issues.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Good luck with your ripping.

Debbie in Austin

P.S. A long time ago I made a utube video on 'How to Skin a Quilt'. It was made for some online LA friends, when I was just beginning to teach LAing. The method wasn't common knowledge then, as it is today. But, it may be helpful for you, or not. In utube, search for DebbieHQ and it's the 'How to Skin a Quilt' video. I am not able to get on there and copy a link since I'm not at home. It's sure a faster method, if it would work for you.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:42 AM

If it were me, I would begin 'unsewing' all the stitches. You've put sooooo many hours into creating the masterpiece, it would be a shame to not be able to enjoy it!!! When you have it quilted the proper way, you can then look at it with pride!!!!! Best to you!
Old 04-07-2011, 08:11 AM

SEW sorry this happened.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Banned

am so very sorry ,do rip but be very careful you don't rip fabric ,don't do it when you are tired. best of luck.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Banned

am so very sorry ,do rip but be very careful you don't rip fabric ,don't do it when you are tired. best of luck.