Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Log Cabin quilt ruined >

Log Cabin quilt ruined

Log Cabin quilt ruined

Old 04-06-2011, 11:12 AM
RDM

How devastating. If it will always be a disappointment, you may want to rip it out and later have re-quilted. My suggestion is so not to take away from the joy of piecing, continue on other tops, then when you want a break, rip it out while watching a favorite movie or TV program a little at a time. It's especially hard when it's family and you can't deal with them as you would a business.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by quilterella
Originally Posted by waladopa
I sent my first quilt top, an oversized king size log cabin, to a relative to quilt. She has a quilting machine and she said she would do it cheap. The problem is, I got what I paid for.
The quilt is ruined unless I rip out everything she did. The quilt is full of puckers.
Does anyone have any advice?
Should I just start ripping?
I don't want to hurt the relatives feelings but I won't be sending her anymore quilts to quilt.
This happened to me a few years ago, with my DD's quilt. I had sent it to a friend that was a LAQ and she did about 2/3s of it, charged me over $350.00 and told me I did a poor job. She had mounted it crooked on the frame and stretched it slightly, leaving puckers all over it. It took many hours to rip it out, I replaced the borders and quilted it on my Janome 6600. I learned a valuable lesson though...you do get what you pay for! It was a frustrating lesson, but, when I was finished, I was proud to give it to my DD, especially because "I quilted it". Good luck and be patient...it takes time. This is a picture of her quilt after I finished it.
It is true, you sometimes get what you pay for. . . but paying $350, you should have gotten a really good job!
A reputable LAQ should let you know ahead of time if she thinks there will be puckers in the finished quilt. That way, you have the opportunity to make the decision whether to make repairs or just take what she does for you. If your top is not flat, the potential for puckers is always present.
I recently tried to do a quilt which turned out to be 6" longer across the top than across the bottom. Needless to say, there was no way to get it straight, but after messing with it, I did manage to get it quilted without any puckers. She didn't want to take it back and fix it before the quilting.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
She says she only does it for friends and family.
she told me over the phone that it might have a pucker or 2 in one corner but the puckers are all over it.
At least the backing is burgandy and she quilted it in white so at least I will be able to see the stitches good.
Thanks everyone for the input and condolences.
Thank God for small favors then!
If her quilting doesn't improve, she won't have them either. :|
Sorry about your quilt .. it *will* be beautiful again!
Old 04-06-2011, 11:30 AM

Buy 3 good seam rippers and take her stitching out. You will lose the first 2 seam rippers so be sure to buy 3.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:43 AM

I had a quilt done with the same results. I heavly quilted it between the quilting already done. Lots and lots of quilting. I just meandered. It really turned out fine and with all the heavy quilting the puckers almost disappeared. This might not work for your quilt but was a good fix for mine. Judy in Texas.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Banned

It didn't cost me $350. In fact, I paid very little, luckily.
I have already started the ripping process.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:17 PM

I agree rip it out as you would never want to use it or even
like it. :cry:
Old 04-06-2011, 12:34 PM

Just touching bases again and am happy to learn you have started to rip out the quilting stitches. You go ahead and continue this journey and you will be delighted with your result! It's a hard, hard lesson, but this can be fixed and you will shake your head in wonderment as you use and enjoy your beautiful rescued quilt. :) :) :)
Old 04-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

are the puckers on the top and the backing or just the backing?
wondering because sometimes the back gets creases, wrinkles quilted in if it was not taut- but that is fixable without all the (ripping) if the top looks ok. you can just put a different back on it- it will have an additional layer- and perhaps just do some simple stitch in the ditch in a central area and around the outside- you would not need to really re=quilt it- just enough to keep it from (ballooning)
if the top has the wrinkles too- that may mean removing stitches-
good luck= i had this happen once but luckily caught it as soon as i turned the quilt and i stopped right then and removed it all- it took A LONG- LONG TIME to remove the quilting in just an area about 14" wide and 110" long.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:07 PM

It didn't cost me $350. In fact, I paid very little, luckily.
I have already started the ripping process.
waladopa - I didn't mean to say you had paid $350 - that was someone else with a comment. I guess really, your relative should refund what you did pay for it. But I wouldn't push that. I'd chalk it up to experience.
I would do as you are doing - rip it all out carefully - then I would spread it out and see if the ripping has made any lumps or problem areas. If it still looks flat, I would take it to a local LAQ and have it done again. Tell her what the problem was with the first one. I would never try to FMQ a king size on a small machine!!