Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Log Cabin quilt ruined >

Log Cabin quilt ruined

Log Cabin quilt ruined

Old 04-06-2011, 03:32 PM

Put the quilt away for several weeks. Start a new project. Then get out the quilt and you may have a different perspective. By the way,how close is the relative?
Old 04-06-2011, 03:37 PM

I messed up one of my own quilts and DEQUILTED it. I used a mustache trimmer and lots of time and I took all the stitching out. It looks perfect now
Old 04-06-2011, 03:50 PM

What a shame! That's almost an advertisement for checking someones work before you hire them. I would suggest to anyone hiring a LA quilter to have them show you lots of samples of quilts they have done. That way you can see the quality of their work and their style. Everyone is different and puts a different twist on things. That's the only way you'll know for sure if their work is of acceptable quality to you.
As for this one - start rippin!!! Good Luck and be sure to post pix when it gets done right.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:00 PM

I am so sorry this happened to you. Been there with my very first quilt. That's why I ended up getting my own longarm. You won't be happy with this quilt until you rip it out - I wouldn't be happy either! - so check out youtube for videos on skinning a quilt so you can do it quickly, easily and without ripping the quilt.

Also, I know this is hard, but the quilter needs to know that she really messed up on your quilt and that you are so unhappy with the quilting that you are ripping it all out. Unless she knows where she mess up, how can she improve? I know it seams a no-brainer, but some quilters think that tucks are all right (yeah, I know one and she quilts for other folks, but doesn't understand why no one ever gives her a second quilt to do for them).
Old 04-06-2011, 04:35 PM

Do you have someone close by that can come & help you with taking out the quilting? That will make it more fun & take less time
Old 04-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

Oh so sorry to hear that. I am sure she had the best intentions. Can you possible just rip out stitches with the puckers and smooth it out and do the stitching FMQ on your sewing machine? Iwould do that if the puckers aren't really bad or all over the entire back. Or else I would rip out all the stitching and have it done professionally. Quilty Hugs to you.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:44 PM

Oh it isn't ruined. It just needs a little TLC. It will take time but rip out a little section a day and in no time you will have it back to the beginning.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
How disappointing!!!!

It is a quilt that you are going to keep for yourself???

I would probably rip it all out. It may take a while but if you don't, every time you look at that quilt you will be unhappy about the quilting done on it.
I wouldn't send anything to her again. You may want to eventually mention the puckers to her so she knows why you are not going to have her quilt for you again!
My thoughts also....I would definitely take out the stitching, it would remind me of the disappointment otherwise.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by waladopa
Since it was my very first quilt top, yes, I wanted to keep it. My hubby wanted me to make it extra big so we could use it as a bedspread.
I am going to try my hand at quilting as I go.
Take your time taking the bad stitches out, and send it to one of the many great LAQ quilting artists on this board. Remind whoever you send it to, what happened the first time. It will help them understand your reluctance to try again, but you will be glad you did. You have to do something, or every time you look at it, you will feel bad, and begin to have hard feelings for the original 'stitcher'. (I can't call it quilting, when it made you feel so bad.) Have some chocolate, sit comfortably, and just get it started. Just think of it as another step to the beauty of your quilt. ;-)
Old 04-06-2011, 09:44 PM

Wish I lived near you. I kind of enjoy ripping out.