Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Log Cabin quilt ruined >

Log Cabin quilt ruined

Log Cabin quilt ruined

Old 04-06-2011, 07:34 AM

Call some of your friends and/or family in and have a "ripping" party. That way if you don't get it all done at one time at least you would have fun. I really hurt for you. I've had people do me that way. Not fun.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

if it bothers you, yes rip it all out. give it a good press and start over. so sorry this happened. but you live and learn.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

If the top and back are square, I would rip out the stitching on half the quilt, smooth out any puckers and spray or pin bast it. I would then machine quilt that half, then repeat. I am sorry this happened and good luck.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:03 AM

Oh I'm so sorry - how heartbreaking for you. I can't give you any advise but you will definitely get some help here.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by waladopa
She says she only does it for friends and family.
she told me over the phone that it might have a pucker or 2 in one corner but the puckers are all over it.
At least the backing is burgandy and she quilted it in white so at least I will be able to see the stitches good.
Thanks everyone for the input and condolences.
Thank God for small favors then!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:08 AM

All of the puckers seem to be on the quilt top. Most are about 1/2" folds. The back has several places where the thread seemed to have balled up and since it was done with white thread on the burgandy fabric, that really shows up too.
I will rip it all out and maybe I will make my first quilt top my first to hand quilt also.
So sorry to hear about your quilt :cry: You will never be happy until you rip it apart. Then as long as you are at it, you might try the quilting in sections (where you actually cut away part of the batting-temporarily- to reduce bulk, even if it doesn't turn out perfect, it's gotta be better than what you've got now! you can do it!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:07 AM

I say rip it out. You will always be upset if you don't.So sorry that this happened from a family member. Did she apologize for the puckers?
I sent my first quilt top, an oversized king size log cabin, to a relative to quilt. She has a quilting machine and she said she would do it cheap. The problem is, I got what I paid for.
The quilt is ruined unless I rip out everything she did. The quilt is full of puckers.
Does anyone have any advice?
Should I just start ripping?
I don't want to hurt the relatives feelings but I won't be sending her anymore quilts to quilt.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:46 AM

I'm a ripper. I would have to do it over again. Take time taking the stitches out as the one quilter said, relax with a good movie, etc. I have to start over until I'm completely satisfied. However I'm a new quilter and none of my quilts are perfect.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:04 AM

Yes, I would rip it out....too much work into not to get it right. You'll be happy with it in the long run....otherwise...what have you got??
Old 04-06-2011, 11:08 AM

I would rip it out. I don't know if I would say something to her or not. Depends on your relationship with her. If she feels she was really doing you and favor then she will feel you don't appreciate the effort and there will be hurt feelings. I would just not say anything. If she is starting out and going to be doing this for more and more people, you could be helping her in her craft by letting her know about the problems. If your quilt was made poorly (I'm sure that's not the case) but if it was, the machine quilter should be telling her clients this so there's no surprises. She needs to learn this as well. It would be as much fun for her to tell someone their quilt isn't well made as it is for you to tell someone their machine quilting isn't well done. I would add having chocolate along with the wine.