Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So whats the facination on collecting buttons? >

So whats the facination on collecting buttons?

So whats the facination on collecting buttons?

Old 04-11-2011, 03:47 PM

I have a bag full of old buttons. Some were my Grandmothers, others were Great Grandmothers. I never thoss any clothing out until all button shave been cut off. I use them over on my husbands shirts/etc.

I worked in a garment factory & once when we ran out of work they had us count boxes full of mens shirt buttons. By the end of the day we were all batty from counting all those buttons.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:29 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Wow, so many lovers of buttons.. Well Tell ya what, the next batch of buttons i get I will PIF. Boy that gonna be one heavy bag.. :shock:
Old 04-11-2011, 04:39 PM

I love buttons. Love them love them. I can remember going over to my grandma's house and the first thing I would head for was her big round hassack (sp?) It opened up and there were all of these glorious buttons. It seemed like thousands and thousands. I would sort them into sizes and then when i was bored with that I would sort them into colors and then shapes. I will always have a fondness for buttons.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:06 PM

I love old vintage buttons especially. Have a wonderful old canning jar full here in my room.
When I was a little girl, would love going to visit Memere and she would put out buttons for us girls to sew onto paper. We had so much fun seeing what designs we could come up with. Oh the memories!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 05:22 PM

I loooove buttons. I am always on the lookout whenever we are out at estate and yard sales.

When my grandmother passed away, I was the lucky one to get her tins of buttons.

My granddaughter likes to go through my collection (not my grandmother's) and make jewelry with the buttons. And I do use them in some of my crafts.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:08 PM

My Gram always told me that a good sewing room had three things: A button box (usually an old Danish Cookie tin), giggling kids and a candy jar. I have so many buttons that I will never use them all. I have most of them categorized by size in little compartmentalized cases but I have one large cookie tin with a lot of my Gram's old buttons. I can't bring myself to ever use them. Some are my Grandfather's old navy buttons. I just love to sit and sift through them sometimes.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:24 PM

I love buttons. They're so darn cute! I haven't used buttons on a quilt yet, but I've added buttons to wall hangings, cards and scrapbook pages. They add a little extra "something".
Old 04-11-2011, 07:22 PM

I am another button lover...I have many jars of buttons, sorted by color...I use them sometimes on quilts, sometimes to make bracelets or necklaces, sew on clothes...as decoration...they are fun to "play with"...most of them I bought years ago at antique stores...so many are "collectable." Every few years we have a button show in town...when I go to that, I see just how crazy a person can go collecting buttons...and how expensive they can be if someone is a "real collector"...which I am not...just a for fun collector.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:03 AM
Swap Hosts

I've loved buttons in jars since I was a child. No doubt that times were simpler then, but I remember visiting my Aunt Stella - a wonderful woman. She sent me home with a jar of buttons and it was as if she had given me a sack of gold. The colors and textures fascinated me.
Jars of buttons are a little time capsule of a woman's family life. We all had much less clothing than we do now and when something finally wore out, the buttons were carefully removed and saved in a jar. The clothing was recycled into quilts, of course, or other garments, but those buttons remained.
When I got to estate sales I always buy them. Don't know what I'll do with them, but I buy them.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:18 AM

I love getting buttons - especially old ones and pearl ones.A friend makes jewellery from them so she loves them too.