Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Saving Scrap pieces.... >

Saving Scrap pieces....

Saving Scrap pieces....

Old 04-25-2011, 01:54 PM

so a crumb square is kinda like a crazy quilt square.....never heard of that term before .....however LOVE the concept....have you finished a Crumb quilt.....
Pictures please......
Old 04-25-2011, 01:56 PM

Here are some 4" crumbs I made. A friend here on QB was very kind and generous and sent some beautiful scraps for me to use for my crumb quilt and I can't thank her enough. Crumbs are very addictive.

My 4" Crumbs
[ATTACH=CONFIG]189006[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-189000.jpe  
Old 04-25-2011, 01:58 PM

oh what great fun...... do you use sashing to combine the squares.....
Old 04-25-2011, 02:07 PM

I used to save everything 'just in case' but have come to the realization that I like looking at appliques far more than I like making them. I now save anything that can be cut 1 1/2" and toss the rest in the yard for the birds. Recently, I had a bunch of triangles left over from making flying geese and then trimming the corners off. I pieced the triangle scraps together and then squared them up into 1 1/2" blocks. (Has anyone discovered the wonderful HST square up rulers from USAUS.US??) I was able to sew those together in a cute little pattern which then became 2 1/2" blocks. Now I can add them into a scrap quilt that requires 2 1/2" blocks and they will add a lot of interest to the quilt. I'll snap a pic when my daughter gets home with my camera.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
oh what great fun...... do you use sashing to combine the squares.....
I’ve changed my mind about 1000 times so far. LOL! My plan is to put 9 of them together in a block and put sashing around the blocks. Another option I’ve thought about is to put sashing around each individual block. I think they would be pretty without sashing too, just a different look.

Cabbagepatchkid, I love your crumbs!!! :thumbup: How are you going to put yours together?
Old 04-25-2011, 02:20 PM

I find myself saving mostly what will cut into 2-2 1/2 inch strips. I run out ways to use the quantity I seem to accumulate. Every so often a bag goes out the door to someone at guild, etc. I sometimes have a bit of difficulty deciding between "scrap" and "small piece of fabric".
Old 04-26-2011, 02:15 AM

We have two guilld members that love scraps.

One does "Art Quilts" -- I give her first choice, if she can use them.

The other one makes beds for the shelter using all scraps -- she gets all the tiny pieces and pieces the "Art Quilter" cannot use.

I keep all the scraps I think I might be able to use , but one way or the other, all my scraps get used, nothing is wasted.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:41 AM

I came up with a great plan that has freed me from the stress. I'm planning a scrappy flying geese, so I cut a zillion 5 x 3 rectangles (max 4 of same fabric) or 5 3/8 squares for speed piecing - it's the size I came up with. Smaller than that, or things I really don't like, go in a bin for board requests, free for shipping. Evidently I will make 4 of these scrappy flying geese quilts. lol.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:43 AM

Craftybear just had some info about what scraps to save and how to sort them. It was last week and I think (but not sure) that it was Apr. 22. I found it very useful.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:58 AM

The smallest I save is 1.5". Anything smaller gets tossed. I, usually, save them in a box then when needing for a quilt I separate lights from darks.