Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First attempt at thread painting...self taught...opinions please >

First attempt at thread painting...self taught...opinions please

First attempt at thread painting...self taught...opinions please

Old 05-01-2011, 05:44 AM

Hi,Okay first im sadden that you only wanted the "ladies"to comment, so either you think men get make rational thoughtful comments(ok that maybe true) or you think men who quilt are "ladies"( just kidding LOL)

It looks good, if i where making it, i would and shadow and shade ,like the other post suggested. And i (meaning if i was doing it,i might sew in some of the words, or a circle,or cross, im not overly religious,but thats what imight do. It doesnt mean thats what you need to do.

It looks nice practice is so true, i should follow your advice
Old 05-01-2011, 05:56 AM

Very pretty
Old 05-01-2011, 06:03 AM

WOW I think you have it nailed down
Old 05-01-2011, 06:53 AM

Looking good!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by cmagee84
Okay ladies, this is my first attempt at thread painting. I watched videos on you tube for days. Planned it out in my head, practiced, practiced, and practiced.

So,it is not finished yet. Still have the beak, eyes and feet to do, plus the title. The author is a dear friend of mine and I am making this as a Surprise!!! :)

Any constructive critics would be welcome!!

You asked for some constructive critic so I'll say, what you have so far is really good. To really bring it to life you need to add some shading to help round the shape of the birds body. Basically you need to add the shadowing with a little darker threads to give it a little more dimension.

You're doing great so far though!!
THANK YOU! I will work on that and post the final piece. :)
Old 05-01-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by autismland
Hi,Okay first im sadden that you only wanted the "ladies"to comment, so either you think men get make rational thoughtful comments(ok that maybe true) or you think men who quilt are "ladies"( just kidding LOL)

It looks good, if i where making it, i would and shadow and shade ,like the other post suggested. And i (meaning if i was doing it,i might sew in some of the words, or a circle,or cross, im not overly religious,but thats what imight do. It doesnt mean thats what you need to do.

LOL!! I guess I forgot there were men on this board too! Truly did not mean to leave you out. I will be more pc next time. :)

Thank you for your comments. I will keep working on it.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Old 05-01-2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by autismland

I guess I forgot there were men on this board!!! Truly did not mean to leave you out! I will try and be more pc next time.

Thank you for your comments. I will keep working on it! :)

Old 05-01-2011, 08:35 AM

to autismland,

my post are not posting! I wrote twice to let you know that I am apologize for forgetting there were men on this board! I will be more pc next time!!

Thanks for your comments. I will keep working on it.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:40 AM

Beautiful! I am so jealous! My first and only attempt was described (by the instructor) as being done by a blind, french Impressionst artist.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:44 AM

Very nice! I'm going to check to see if there is a pic of the finished dove!...what thread did you use?

I have tried this with an eagle quilt I did...I ended pulling all the stitching out of his head because his head was go close in color to the background, and my background quilting was so similar..the head got lost.

It's my "practice" for a larger eagle quilt...so I chose whatever fabric was close at hand.

I used silver metallic thread on the front & 60 wt poly bobbin thread on the back, both from:
http://www.threadart.com
Size 18 Groz-Beckert needle

I was going to really fill the wings with thread, but, since this is the "sample", I decided to just scribble a bit...making sure the tensions and threads didn't cause me problems on the TL18LS.

The pattern is one I got at a retreat & is supposed to be done in rusts, orange, golds & reds (hence, BLAZE of Glory).. and I bought the fabrics in the correct colors...(the eagle is using the actual fabrics)...but I am a bit frugal, and paide $8.00 a yard (expensive for me) & didn't want to waste it on a sample. I bought enough of the fabric for the eagle to do 5 or 6...so, that was ok...but the fabric for the quilt...only bought enough for one in a king size (bit to spare)...and since the quilt is 48" square...I need to be able to add to the quilt to make it the size I want....and the retreat was 2 years ago...know finding more of a fabric that old is not going to be easy.

I know I need to try to get the "movement" of the feathers better...and it should be easier when I do the larger eagle (yep, enlarging every part of the quilt, instead of just adding rows).

I have been watching videos by Sharon Schamber, Linda V Taylor and others...and taking bits and pieces from them all.

Blaze of Glory Detail
[ATTACH=CONFIG]191543[/ATTACH]

Blaze of Glory Back Detail
[ATTACH=CONFIG]191544[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-191537.jpe   attachment-191538.jpe