Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dog destroying mattresses- need your help >

Dog destroying mattresses- need your help

Dog destroying mattresses- need your help

Old 05-10-2011, 12:33 PM

WOW !!! THIS IS A WINNER !!
Originally Posted by fayzer
Here are some tips for you. The first on is the least expensive.
Sometimes changing the surface of furniture that the dogs like to jump on can decrease the desirability of the object. Plastic rug runners with spiky plastic tips on the bottom (used to grip rugs when placed over carpeting) can be cut to size and turned upside down to detract a dog from a certain piece of furniture. The strips can be taped together on the smooth side.

This is even better than the rug runners. Search for X-mats and buy enough to cover the bed. Even our boxers, who destroy everything, won't get near them.

Check this site out http://www.petzoff.com/
Old 05-10-2011, 03:21 PM

So kitchen and bathroom are both very, and I mean very, minimal. His bedroom is also very minimal. No room for crate in any of those spaces. Some might say the dog has to go or he needs to increase his space but he is not ready to consider either of these choices. Hoody is as much a part of him as his arm is. And no car either so no way to transport a piece of plywood, although that sounds like a great idea to me. I like the table runner as well but he wants to try his method first. All of your ideas sound great to me. Hopefully someone will find something that works for them. It's great to post questions here as this site really opens up a dialogue that maybe someone else had not thought of until they read a thread here. Thanks everybody.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Joanie2
So kitchen and bathroom are both very, and I mean very, minimal. His bedroom is also very minimal. No room for crate in any of those spaces. Some might say the dog has to go or he needs to increase his space but he is not ready to consider either of these choices. Hoody is as much a part of him as his arm is. And no car either so no way to transport a piece of plywood, although that sounds like a great idea to me. I like the table runner as well but he wants to try his method first. All of your ideas sound great to me. Hopefully someone will find something that works for them. It's great to post questions here as this site really opens up a dialogue that maybe someone else had not thought of until they read a thread here. Thanks everybody.
I know you said he doesn't have a car, but he might check to see if one of the local home improvement stores has a solution for this. Our Home Depot has a truck they rent for $20 or so, though if you bring it back in the first hour it's free. Something like that, anyway. Might be worth checking on if he decides later to try plywood!
Old 05-10-2011, 03:55 PM

As Annie Oakley said, crate training is the best thing ever for our dogs. They learn to like their own "cave." I just wish I had known about this years ago when we had dogs that ate our couch cushions and drapes, etc. They were other wise very nice dogs, but 30-40 years ago, never heard of crate training. We now have a small dog that is crate trained and it works out great for all of us.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:02 PM

I think I would buy one of those plastic tarps and cover the bed with that. The dog may not like the sound that the tarp makes when he lays on it.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:48 PM

I have two labs which are quite large. I have to take them about once a month to have nails clipped. Makes a big difference.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:20 PM

I have 3 dogs who love our beds, also! I bought them each a cooloroo dog bed, and they fight over them. Here is the link:

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

They are inexpensive and easy to set up. The dogs like them because they are off the ground.
I would set it up, and put one of his tshirts or something with your son's smell on the dog bed, then he will "know" it's his! Then, I would shut the bedroom door.

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2011, 06:39 PM

Sounds like the dog is bored, so try getting it a few toys to play with. Is it possible to declaw like they do cats. Might ask the vet.
IdahoSandy
Old 05-10-2011, 07:40 PM

when dog aren't out much they need there nails trimmed maybe that would help.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:03 PM

I would get some heavy weight denim for the bed covering two layers thick. They make these devices that you can get at pet stores that schlock the dog when they step on the. Mine has three settings that adjust the intensity of the shock. And after a while the dog won't even bother going on the bed.

My dog did the same thing and I would find all the pillows making a square. He likes to lay facing the door. I had to buy a cage for him as he chewed the carpet one day, the carpet wasn't even a year old. Today, after my mid-afternoon nap, I found the couch pillow in the kitchen. I guess I need to make him his own pillow.

If he tries the shock device, then get Hoody his own bed pillow and have your son roll all over it on occasion. Hoody just misses his daddy.

Funny story about the shock pad. We had it on our couch and a friend came over for dinner and we tend to eat in the living room to watch the tv. Anyways, he sat on it. I was surprised that he did not spill his dinner when he flew up. We all laughed so hard. I asked him about the shock and how bad it was. He said it was lick sticking your tongue on a nine volt battery that was almost dead. I was worried that I would hurt my babies.