Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELPPPPPPPPPP!!! >

HELPPPPPPPPPP!!!

HELPPPPPPPPPP!!!

Old 05-30-2011, 03:25 AM

What machine are you using? I found singers even with the
feet dogs down do not move smooth. I would try putting the feed dogs down and not using a foot, but put the presser foot lever down
LC
Old 05-30-2011, 03:40 AM

Hi Diana - first thing the name quilter teachers tell us is "try to relax those shoulders" - right!!! I started wearing a quilter's glove to lightly move the fabric around and kept practicing and now I do a pretty fine job. When I was practicing, I did not worry about crossing stitching - I wanted to just get the movement down. I hope this helps - I also put my machine on medium speed so I did not feel like I was on a "stippling marathon" - hope you smile and just keep at it - I know it looks better than what you are taking credit for. Linda in IL
Old 05-30-2011, 03:46 AM

Be sure to have the quilt well supported too! A small table to the left helps hold the weight along with my lap. That also helps with the "dragging".
Old 05-30-2011, 04:04 AM

Use gloves or those little rubber drink coasters under your hands to move the quilt and make sure you have a smooth surface on your table to swing it around on. My friend was trying to move her quilt on top of a heavy cotton table cloth because she wanted to protect her table - it doesn't work. Place a vinyl sheet over the table if you want to protect it.Good luck.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
are you using a darning foot? it has a spring on the shaft. that helps keep the fabric from moving for the split second the needle is in the fabric.
slow movement of the quilt and fairly fast foot pedal speed works well.
This was my first thought, too.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:08 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by Deecee
Apart from gloves, I also use a Supreme Slider. Its a thin teflon sheet that you lay over the machine bed and your fabric glides more freely.

http://sew-whats-new.com/video/quilt...review-supreme
This is what works for me also. Keep trying until you find what works for you.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:15 AM

Diana, you can even use garden gloves that have the knoby rubber on the bottom part. or rubber kitchen gloves that you use for washing dishes.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:17 AM

You said you are using the quilting foot. If you mean the walking foot, it just won't work for free motion quilting. You need the free motion quilting foot, otherwise known as the darning foot. The walking foot is for quilting in straight lines, the darning foot for free motion. You'll get there. It just takes lots of patience sometimes, but worth it.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:33 AM

In a pinch----like if you don't want to go shopping today---a basic pair of rubber gloves, the surgical kind or the "cleaning the kitchen" kind will work.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:41 AM

I use gloves. I bought mine at my LQS. I still need tons of practice with FMQ but the gloves do help me glide the fabric better. Also, be sure you are using a darning foot and not a walking foot.