Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do i want a vintage... >

do i want a vintage...

do i want a vintage...

Old 06-01-2011, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

BOTH, lol!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:40 AM

I have both, but use electrics most. I love the idea of treadles, however. No electricity needed. With proper attachments, you can do just about anything on a treadle, including ruffles and buttonholes.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I would go for the treadle, but then that is because we often seem to get power cuts here, and it's nice/quicker to use compared to the hand crank I have so I wish I had the opportunity to buy one.
We don't often think of it that way - - but I remember, too, there was a lady (of some group) who was looking specifically for treadles to ship to Haitti (sp) because of power being in short availability.

The versatility and love of such machines! :-)

Marysewfun
Old 06-01-2011, 08:37 AM

If you have room it's good to take both especialy if you can trade clothing. You will be surprised how little you may have to do to get them working. Sometimes even soap/water cleaning help --you know what I mean ! I just
bought a treadle myself to have a vintage machine. They are all getting harder to find and as a young person you will have treasures. They don't cost once you own. Needles/parts are not hard to get or the leather belts.
So what if they are not Singers as these may be more valuable.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mornigstar
If you have room it's good to take both especialy if you can trade clothing. You will be surprised how little you may have to do to get them working. Sometimes even soap/water cleaning help --you know what I mean ! I just
bought a treadle myself to have a vintage machine. They are all getting harder to find and as a young person you will have treasures. They don't cost once you own. Needles/parts are not hard to get or the leather belts.
So what if they are not Singers as these may be more valuable.
this is true! how do I find the needles that fit etc?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:55 PM

Learning to use the treadle is not difficult. I've only known one person who could not master it. My younger sister would be going along just fine, then all of a sudden go backward and break the thread. (She didn't like to sew; I sometimes suspected she did that on purpose. lol)
Old 06-01-2011, 01:08 PM

From my experience most needles interchange but I know some of the rare machines take a special needle but they are available.
The quilt forum Vintage group could tell you more but if a needle is in them you can compare to the Singer .
Think people are busy in their gardens so haven't had time to write to you yet.
Or else they are like me and envious because you have access to these machines !! Ha ha . I have enough but would still like a Singer 301 only because the group says such good things about it.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:53 PM

If you ever get a 301 you will fall instantly in love. The man at the repair shop where I sometimes take my machines said there was 4 old Singers he would strongly recommend people look for if they wanted a "forever machine" and they would be a 99K, a 66, a 15-91 and a 301. I am lucky, I have all of them and in wonderful working order. Love those old machines.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:08 PM

I guess I'm not coordinated enough to use a treadle, but they both sound great is you have the room.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:09 PM

I would get both. The treadle is very easy to use. You will love it.