Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • My mom got SCAMMED big time! >
  • My mom got SCAMMED big time!

• My mom got SCAMMED big time!

Old 06-08-2011, 04:14 AM

Our sherrif is always warning us about this type of scam.
    Report it and make a note of it in your local newspaper to warn everybody.
    such a shame!!!!!!
    I got a call that a relative left me a fortune. I called my nephew up and he said he got those calls and e-mails all the time. I was very lucky to check up on that message.
    They did use a distant relatives name too!!!!!!!!!!
    Old 06-08-2011, 04:25 AM

Some guy actually showed up at my grandmothers in France. Said my mother was like a daughter to him. He knew lots about the family. We figured he opened my mother's mail to her mom. She fixed him dinner and gave him $400.
    Old 06-08-2011, 04:34 AM

I went to a yard sale a couple of weeks ago and they had tons of fabric. I bought several bags but it wasn't really my style of fabric so I didn't buy a ton. People running the sale said it was from an elderly friend of their moms who had to move to a home. They were cleaning out her house. My daughter needs a machine so I asked if they had any. They took my name and said yes but they still needed to price them. I was in the LQS this week run by an elderly lady and she was telling me about her friend who got sick and was scammed by a family who sold all of her stuff while she was in the hospital and rehab. They even moved into her house and took her car. Police are investigating. LQS has her machines or they would have sold them to me. I took the fabric I bought to the home where she is and gave it to her. SHe was sitting there quilting and was thrilled. If you have elderly friends or parents watch out for them.
    Old 06-08-2011, 04:49 AM

Unfortunate that this happened to your mum. Perhaps one solution could be to put a limited amount of funds in your mum's personal account so that she has 'walking around money' and put the bulk of her funds in another account that requires a few signatures to operate? This can ease everyone's minds and also ease your mother and family into a higher state of care. I know of plenty of people, who have not had their thought processes compromised, who have still been 'taken' by these sharks.All the best for the future.
    Old 06-08-2011, 05:07 AM

I don’t understand how anyone could do something so cruel. Every so often we hear stories like this here. If you haven’t already notified the police please do. It wouldn’t hurt to let the media know, if your Mom isn't upset by making it public knowledge. I hope the money can be recovered but even if it can’t be maybe you can help stop this from happening to someone else.
    Old 06-08-2011, 05:11 AM

I am so sorry your mom was scammed. These scumbags will pay sometime in the future, but that doesn't help your mom right now. I hope that was not her food money.

I had an elderly aunt and uncle who were scammed by people saying they would put a new roof on their house, but needed a $2,000 check up front to buy supplies. One guy got on the roof and pounded a little bit, then left.

By the time A & U realized there was no roof going on and called the police, one of the guys had already gone to the bank and cashed their check.
    Old 06-08-2011, 05:43 AM

my MIL has Alzheimer's, she answered a phone call said from my daughter her granddaughter, thankfully FIL was there and called me to find out if GD actually called. We told them about the scam and to be very careful. So sorry about your mom.
    Old 06-08-2011, 06:01 AM

The exact same thing happened to my mother several weeks back. They asked for $3,000 when they first called, but called back later trying to get more money. That time the Western Union guy told her it was a scam, and called my brother to tell her not to send anymore money.
    Old 06-08-2011, 06:03 AM
    Power Poster

I'm so sorry that this happened to your Mom...these scumbags make me say words that should never leave my lips....I hope they rot.
    Old 06-08-2011, 06:10 AM

our whole quilt guild got a message like that, one of members was stuck in England...no one responded but immediatiely got on the phone...people are so mean sometimes...