Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My mom got SCAMMED big time! >

My mom got SCAMMED big time!

My mom got SCAMMED big time!

Old 06-08-2011, 06:17 AM

I got a call a couple weeks ago, saying it was my grandson. I ask for his name and he just said I am your grandson. Then I told him I did not have a grandson and he hung up. Bet it was the same kind of call. We really have to watch closely. What a shame. Can't help with getting her money back. Doubt that they will ever catch the culprit.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:20 AM

So sorry to hear about your Mom. Hope something can be done about it. that person that done that is a dirtbag....
Old 06-08-2011, 06:24 AM

Sorry this happened to your mom, that sucks!

We live in a town with a high retirement-age population (read: snowbirds), and every other week our town newspaper runs an ad warning people of this very scam.

I think it's sad that so many people continue to fall for this crap, but my grandmother was also one of them. I don't know that she ever got scammed out of money (my uncle was a signor on all her accounts for this reason), but she was constantly opening emails from spammers (often with viruses attached), and subsequently mucking up her computer. Then she'd complain that noone would help her get it fixed. :-(
Old 06-08-2011, 06:25 AM

Well I guess in this case, its a good thing we don't have much money. : )

I am so so sorry that this happened to your Mom. I certainly hope someone can help find this jerks. Everyone here has some excellent ideas in how to help her from this happening again to her. Best of luck.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:44 AM

I know of 2 other people that have been likewise scammed. They seem to prey upon older people using grandchildren as the decoy. I live in Canada and have heard of this scam from across the country.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:51 AM

It's time for you to take responsibility of Mom's money.

I am so sorry this happened to you and frankly think that people who take advantage of people like your Mom (with diminished mental capacity) are truly the scum of the earth.

I hope someone has ideas to catch this guy and get the money back!
Old 06-08-2011, 06:54 AM

My mother was scammed by a group who told her they were blacktopping in the area and had a little of the material left over. They didn't want to haul it back to "wherever" and would put it on her driveway for an amount. They would come back to finish the job later. They cashed her check promptly, did not come back and grass grew up in the thin layer of material they put down. If a salesman comes to your door, it's most likely a scam. If you want a job done, make the call yourself to a local contractor!

The sheriff told us these are a group of gypsies who routinely travel the country and they are experts at eyeballing properties where seniors live. No swing sets or bikes in the yard, model of car in the driveway, etc.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:00 AM

You never know whom to trust these days. My mother is 96 and in a care home now. I moved her from my brothers home two years ago. She continuted to stay with his wife after my brother died. I moved all her belongings to my garage and went through things one piece at a time. I was shocked to find cancelled checks and check registers showing money she'd given the daughter-in-law and all her kids. I discovered over 200 thousand over the past 10 years piddled away to those parasites. Since I've taken over her finances they are no longer getting hand outs. Now they don't even visit her because they know they won't get a check. The lawyer says I can't do anything about it as it will be looked at as gifts. Needless to say, those kids are in the process of losing their houses with tax sales and foreclosures. They took advantage of her because she couldn't see or understand what she was signing and wouldn't admit to anyone that she didn't understand. Didn't take me long to file for guardianship, the only way I could legally stop them from getting her signature.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:07 AM

This is terrible!!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:09 AM

Kimkankwilt:
Actually.. you may want to change your Mom's number. Once they get some one to bite on a scam, good bet they will keep her number and try again. :( :([/quote]

This happened to my friend's in-laws and they did call back a second time to get more money from them. Change the number!!!