Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My mom got SCAMMED big time! >

My mom got SCAMMED big time!

My mom got SCAMMED big time!

Old 06-08-2011, 08:57 AM

I'm so sorry someone took advantage of your mom like that. I would say call the police and the Attorney generals office of your state. Sadly, she will probably never get that money back but to help prevent this from happening to someone else it should be reported. I would also suggest going to the local newspaper with your story, it could stop someone from making the same mistake.

Someone tried the Nigerian scam on my sister, but she is sauvey enough to know she was being scammed. She got the guy to send her the checks he wanted cashed and she immediately contacted the police who turned them over to the FBI. They didn't get the person, but they were able to trace to the source of the mail which put them closer to finding the scammers. I guess every little bit helps.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:06 AM

Sorry to hear this. Get your mom an unlisted phone number ASAP.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by ann31039
do make a police report. in order to claim a loss on your taxes, you have to have a police report and your reciepts for the cash sent. then next year, claim it on taxes and you'll get most of it back. that may be a little help.
Would that work for her even if she doesn't have to pay taxes?
Old 06-08-2011, 10:01 AM

This is so terrible. My friend just had a 600.00 auto repair in Spain. They really have their nerve. Well what goes around comes around, I surely don't feel sorry for those culprits.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:02 AM

Lets make sure Mom does not have access to money without a second signature from relative.
IdahoSandy
Old 06-08-2011, 11:21 AM

I used to work for Western Union. I would beg people not to send so much cash to Canada. One elderly woman lost every thing. the bank finally stepped in when she lost her house. They are the ones that called her family.
I am so sorry for your mom. Scams are not pretty. But you could call the police. I know they didn't help much here.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
Sorry to hear this. Get your mom an unlisted phone number ASAP.
Absolutely!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:49 PM

Some banks query a large withdrawl and check it out.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:17 PM

I think to protect my mother from anything else like this I would secure her savings accounts with dual signatures.

Like you or one of your sibs need to sign on her accounts with her in order for her to transfer money. Then you would know first hand where that money is going, and it will be safe for when she really does need it.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:54 PM

So sorry to hear about this. After my husband's father died, some men came to my mother-in-law's house asking if she had work they could do. Before we knew what she was doing she had handed over huge sums for such projects as removing a tree (cutting it down and leaving it laying where it fell), repairing the foundation on her house and repairing her chimney (making a few swipes with a caulk gun) and other things. The sheriff estimated that she had given those con artists at least $20,000, judging by cancelled checks we had and what she told him about giving them cash. I understand that such con artists often read the obituary columns, preying especially on grieving folks who have lost their spouse of 50-plus years.