Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric Scissors... >
  • Fabric Scissors...

• Fabric Scissors...

Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 AM

My solution was to put away my sewing scissors out ot sight and to threaton any one who used them with dire consequenses. It must have worked. I still have my sharp sewing scissors many years later
    Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 AM

My fabric scissors are Fiscars and they came in a box with a rubber sleeve. That is where they stay unless I am cutting fabric. It only takes 30 seconds to put them away and take them out again when needed. DH and kids would never take the time to unbox them and use. Leave the paper scissors out in plain sight and that is what they will grab for. Problem "solved"!!
    Old 06-16-2011, 09:37 AM

Maybe she'll understand better when you take the cost of a replacement pair out of her allowance?
    Old 06-16-2011, 09:45 AM

Honestly, she's 15. if that's the worst she does be happy. I teach high schoolers, and they get into way more things than that.

But, how you discipline her is up to you. I would at least make her pay for the sharpening of them. She should know better, especially as a teenager.
    Old 06-16-2011, 09:49 AM
    Power Poster

I quit buying the not good scissors for house hold use. Everyone wanted the good scissors and I don't blame them. I buy scissors that are good to begin with and it saves me frustration and constantly being upset if someone goes gets my good scissors. Now they know any of the scissors are the good ones.
    Tell your DGD that cutting paper may make the scissors not cut fabric smooth and you need fabric cut smooth every time so it will fit in your quilt.
    Old 06-16-2011, 10:34 AM

I like this idea - though the threat of mopping the floor with her favorite outfit if she does it again would drive the message home! If it is her "first offense" I would not have her pay for sharpening.
    Originally Posted by Vicki W
    The cutting of paper will dull the blades leaving them unusable for cutting of fabric that requires a sharper blade.

Find your paper scissors and give her some scraps to cut and she will see the difference. Everyone has to learn, no one at my house would dare use fabric scissors to cut paper. DH actually came trained on that idea from his Mother and I know I have been taught from a small child that this is a NEVER.
    Old 06-16-2011, 11:29 AM

I raised 4 children; three boys and a girl. I also sewed a lot. I did all the various markings on scissors and countless explanations-nothing worked! I finally fiqured out they probably kept using my scissors because of convience. I kept my things organized and they could easily find them. So I hid them! Fast forward 20 years . . .If you ask my kids what words of wisdom they remember from their childhood-someone will always mention "Don't use fabric scissors for cutting paper!" Why couldn't they have followed the request all those years ago!
    Old 06-16-2011, 11:44 AM
    Power Poster

The good scissor now are greatly improved. Not hand sharpened anymore, most by laser. Paper really doesn't hurt scissors blades now as before. No one bothers my scissors in my sewing room because they are the same as the ones in the desk or kitchen drawers. When good scissors were very expensive and hard to keep a sharp edge then it was very important to keep them just for fabric.
    Old 06-16-2011, 11:56 AM

I keep my Ginghers in the boxes they came in, I don't think my dh even knows there are scissors in there so he never touches them. The Fiskars are another story, he automatically grabbed those so for the last ten years or so I've kept the Fiskars in my sewing box and we have a new rule 'anything orange handled' is hands off. But I also make it a point to have about 6 pairs of regular scissors laying around the house so they're easy for him to find.
    Old 06-16-2011, 01:14 PM

Make her pay out of her allowance for sharpening them. THEN put them in a safe place and DARE her to ever use them again for paper. My children understood early on that fabric scissors were for fabric, period. I never had a problem.