Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Maybe I have to quit calling myself a beginner.... >

Maybe I have to quit calling myself a beginner....

Maybe I have to quit calling myself a beginner....

Old 06-21-2011, 08:39 AM

You can be so pleased with yourself for making 24 - count them, 24 - quilts. That's quite an accomplishment and definitely brings you up to the high intermediate quilter. Congrats!!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dina
I realized after I posted this that it sounds like I am bragging on myself. I sure didn't mean for it to come across that way. I was just surprised. and still am, at how much this hobby has caught me. And what a fun way to be caught.
Don't think anyone would take it that way although you do deserve to brag on yourself having made 24+ quilts. :-)
Old 06-21-2011, 09:43 AM

Interesting discussion. I would have qualified a beginning quilter as someone who did not tackle different designs and stuck with very simple patterns. I would have qualified myself as a beginning quilter from the time I was 17 to 58. I started was watching all the quilt shows on TV and discovered there was a lot of stuff out there that I might like to try. Then I bought a Quilt In A Day pattern book to make the freedom star and never thought I would be using "little pieces" - ha ha. Love that pattern & today will tackle things that I never would have considered before. I would say I'm an intermediate quilter today at age 63 but definitely not above that - people who design their own quilts, make quilts with lots and lots and lots of tiny pieces - now that's expert in my book (LOL).
I have 3 sets of friends who started quilting 3 years ago and two are more beginner quilters and the third jumped from a 9 patch to doing star points & a bargello that is out of this world. Think we all have comfort levels and what we feel comfortable doing or tackling - it's a wonderful world and I love this board for all sorts of reasons. Thanks so much everybody for sharing - great people here for sure.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:55 PM

After 24 quilts. I'd say you graduated to the next level!!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

That's a lot of quilts in two years. Keep it going.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dina
I realized after I posted this that it sounds like I am bragging on myself. I sure didn't mean for it to come across that way. I was just surprised. and still am, at how much this hobby has caught me. And what a fun way to be caught.
Not bragging. Just being a little proud of what you have done. And that is OKAY!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 06-22-2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by ktmo815
When do we stop calling ourselves beginners? number of quilts or length of time quilting?
I like to call myself an experienced beginner because there are so many quilts I HAVEN'T made yet. I love traditional blocks and had as my goal to make samplers of every traditional block I could find. hahahahahahaa
Old 06-22-2011, 06:53 AM

God Bless You!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

As long as you call yourself a quilter - who needs to know whether it is beginner, intermediate or whatever - YOU'RE A QUILTER AND BELONG TO A GREAT GROUP OF QUILTERS ACROSS THE WORLD. SPREAD THE WORD!! Now did I go a little overboard? Oh well. Sometimes we just need to step out - beginner or otherwise. When I first started to quilt, I learned from magazines and a video with two notebooks of patterns and templates by Georgiia J. Bonesteel. I made my daughter a full size quilt and hand quilted it - the first and only full-sized quilt I hand-quilted - then I developed carpal tunnel from being a secretary. No worries - my husband picked out a basket crib size pattern for me to make into a king-size quilt. I actually quilted it on my sewing machine, made lots of mistakes, but it was on our bed for over 10 years. "Basket Case" was a challenge - on point, pieced handles, king-size, etc., etc. but my husband loved it. Nobody told me I couldn't do it - so I did it. Spread your wings girl and fly. There are no quilt police to tell you that you can't do it. Have fun and enjoy the journey.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:26 PM

I am going to repeat myself....this is a great place to be! I'm proud to be a quilter and to be apart of this group!

I labeled myself a beginner, and I liked a description I read in one of the quilt books I review for our guild....confident beginner. The quilt book had levels of quilts, like beginner, intermediate, and advanced...and one was labeled confident beginner. That is me!