Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help and or advise on finishing someone else's top.. >

Need help and or advise on finishing someone else's top..

Need help and or advise on finishing someone else's top..

Old 07-13-2011, 03:50 AM

put a border on it to square it up but leave everything as is. it is done with love and no one really know how difficult it might have been for her to get this far. it is beatiful
Old 07-13-2011, 03:52 AM

The same thing happened to me, and I just tried to finish off whatever my aunt started in a way that woult be "true" to her work. It is a wonderful thing to do and the recipients will all love whatever you do!
Old 07-13-2011, 04:05 AM

Leave it as is. It's a wonderful tribute to her.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:56 AM

I agree with squaring up the whole top and leave her work there. You can not replace what she did ever so at least you will have something when you look at the wonkies it will remind you of how hard she had to work just to get that far. I know from expierence as my mother left some unfinished that was not perfect, her daughter in law finished them just the way they were.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:59 AM

I love the front as is but I would put a back on ,an bind, tie the top.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:00 AM

A long arm quilting friend of mine told me she was quilting some tops from an estate of a woman who had Alzheimers in her last years. She said she could observe her quilting capabilities decline in the several quilts she finished for the family and she had some of the same problems you are experiencing. It meant a great deal to this family to have quilts made by this person, so even though they aren't perfect, they reflect her life and that makes them special.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:00 AM

I agree with amma - leave your aunt's work as is and just put a border on and square it up with a "wonky" border
Originally Posted by amma
Put a wider border on it, and then square up the whole top... that way you can leave her portion as is, and still have a square up top :D:D:D
Old 07-13-2011, 05:21 AM

Square it up. Put the border on and tell your daughter how much she meant to her to make it for her while she was so sick.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:24 AM

The quilt says "teacher" all over it. I love the pictures in it. I would not cut any of it away. Just put a border on it and square up after that. What a wonderful, caring aunt. I'm sure your uncle would love to see it completed.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
You know - I found a quilt top that my mom "pieced" in her rough, zig zag stitch method. I am going to do nothing more that add borders, backing & bind it as is. It was handled & touched by her in her own way. I can't & shouldn't change that. It is a part of her; the history she left behind.

I think your Aunt's quilt top will be just fine finished as is. Like you say - every stitch was an effort for her, but I'm betting that it was an effort made with love & determination during a rough time in her life. It deserves to be finished, cherished and loved in memory of your Aunt.
Ditto. What a wonderful quilt to have and to cherish.