Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is the best size for a chemo-comfort quilt? >
  • What is the best size for a chemo-comfort quilt?

• What is the best size for a chemo-comfort quilt?

Old 07-17-2011, 12:23 PM

Wow. I never expected this response. Thank you all soooo much for sharing. I would definitely have made something different before reading your suggestions.

Thank you for your prayers also. Cathy really needs them. There's not much else we can do, is there?

My heart goes out to all of you who have been there, done that. My prayers for YOUR future good health!
    Old 07-17-2011, 12:25 PM

Our guild makes caps and turbans. We have not seen your cute hats and I think they would be alot better then the turbans. I agree the turbans are ugly but for I tried to spruce them up with embellishments when my sister was wearing them. Would you be willing to share your hat pattern?
    Old 07-17-2011, 03:24 PM

I love that fabric and the hats. I went through chemo 2 years ago and loved the hats I found with the short 'girly' bills. Had 2 wigs and were way too hot for me. Did get a fun red one that everyone loved on me. Brown hair turned grey now.
    A quilting friend gave me a little quilt she made for me. 50 x 50 maybe. I found it was big enough, they do bring you a warmed blanket if you want. I carried my quilt to chemo in a Vera Bradley cancer fabric tote my Card Club gals gave me before I started. I had great support from all my friends (and still do).....doing good!
    Old 07-17-2011, 04:21 PM

My hubby just completed his infusions for leukemia..a generous lap size is fine...something that will fit her from neck to toes while sitting in a recliner. Hubby's feet & hands were very cold...especially at the infusion site...so if your DSIL is getting a port in her arm, chest, etc...she will need that covered.

Originally Posted by newestnana
    I'm going to make a quilt for my DSIL who is about to undergo a long stretch of chemotherapy. I have the fabric and the general design but am wondering whether to make it a traditional lap quilt size (but not too big) or whether to make it longer, more shawl-like.

What do you think would be the best style/dimensions?

Any other hints? E.g., should I attach some kind of pockets for books or whatever?

Thank you so much in advance!
    Old 07-17-2011, 04:33 PM

Wide twin-size so she can wrap up in it. Patients going in for chemo get cold from nervousness and the chemo itself can make them cold. Making a quilt for her is a lovely thing to do. froggyintexas
    Old 07-17-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky
    Our guild makes caps and turbans. We have not seen your cute hats and I think they would be alot better then the turbans. I agree the turbans are ugly but for I tried to spruce them up with embellishments when my sister was wearing them. Would you be willing to share your hat pattern?
    I got my pattern in my quilt shop but you can get it on line. The nice thing is the pattern has from a baby size to extra large adult in it. go to www.izzyandivydesigns.com click on patterns and scroll down, it is called Jack & Jill It is a fun way to use up scraps and fat quartes as you can make inside a different fabric. After you make one you will find an easier way then the directions on part of it. I think the pattern runs a little small so go up a size. Kwik Sew has a pattern with four hats in it and one has the hat with a bill and then like a scarf that ties in the back pattern number 3481. don't know if they still make it but check on line on their web site. Good luck and bless you and your guild.
    Old 07-18-2011, 02:01 AM

When I knew I would have to have chemo I went right home and made myself a chemo quilt. It is about 50 by 60. I used bright colors I enjoyed and all cottons. It needs to be cool in there so to help prevent infection. I made chemo quilts for others I met in there. I was know as the quilt lady. I would ask their favorite color and just go with it. It helped me a lot as I know how good it felt to have a cover over me. I still make chemo quilts and sometimes chemo hats. If one listens God will put you to work helping others.God Bless you.
    Old 07-18-2011, 08:13 AM

I am making a quillow for my cousin's dad that is starting chemo this week. It is roughly 60x44 (this is the size I made my husband's and he is 6'4' and it is big enough for him). It folds up to be a pillow when not in use and when unfolded to use, the pocket becomes a place for your feet. (That keeps your toes from peeking out the bottom.) A book or something could also be put in the pouch that makes the pillow when carrying back and forth.
    Old 07-18-2011, 08:18 AM

I think the shawls are good also. I saw a nice pattern someplace that was really wide and the ends had big pockets. It think that pattern was made from fleece.

A friend of mine who completed chemo a couple years ago didn't want a quilt, but really appreciated a fleece throw someone else gave her. She said it was light weight enough not to be annoying to carry around but still warm.
    Old 07-18-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mary T.
    I think that A Quillo would be a great cover for a chemo patient, I have lost my directions. Does anyone have them? Thanks
    I make mine like a quilt and put a pocket on the back bottom center. The pocket needs to be 1/3 of the width x 1/3 the length.

You can also make them by layering right sides together with batting on top, sew around edges leaving a space to turn. Then turn, sew up the hole and quilt strips down and across or however you want to quilt it. The pillow pocket needs to be placed on the back panel before sewing around the edges. I hope this makes since, I can show someone how to do something better that I can tell them.

I have made roughly 15 quillows now.