redneck air conditioner

Old 07-23-2011, 05:01 AM
j

Swamp coolers do not work when the Dewpoint gets 55 and above, then you feel the humidity in the house. We use ours until July then switch to a/c . What I like about the swamp cooler is, your windows have to be open and a door can stay open and the house is still cool. Right now Im in OHio with this humidity and feel hotter than when I am in Phoenix. When your old like me, you can only take off so many clothes before the clothing police might pick you up!! - Joan
Old 07-23-2011, 05:11 AM

I was a living historian and did Civil War reenactments for years. It's pretty hot when you're wearing a heavy wig and corset, chemise, 2 petticoats, a hoop, and a long sleeved dress.

We would have lessons in the heat of the afternoon. We called it the Shady Tree Academy. We would sit in the shade and teach young girls stitching: how to sew on buttons, to sew a hem, sew patchwork, and knit or crochet.

And we kept cool with our own secret hidden individual cooling units. We each had a big tin bowl, a foot or more in diameter. (They were pretty cheap in the kitchenware department. I think they use them in restaurants for making salads.) We put water and ice in them and then sat and slipped our bare feet in. Ooooohhhhhh.... It was cold! That really kept us cool. And no one knew, because they were hidden under our hoop skirts.

So my cooling tip is, when it's oppressive, soak your feet. And cool damp cloths on your pulse points at wrist and neck really cool you down too.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot
I live in Houston and the only time I love the humidity is when I come home from the desert, like Las Vegas. And for you Phoenixites or Phoenixians (or whatever they call people who live there), it doesn't help us to hear "yes, but it's a DRY heat". Hot is hot!
Your right, I agree 100%, hot is hot!!! And its too darn hot here and everywhere else. I do feel sorry for the folks that are having a heat wave now that are not accustomed to it. At least here we know its going to be HOT, no way to get around it.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:16 AM

Been unusually cool here, but with what the people in the midwest/south has going on, I've been grateful. When the sun comes out here, we run outside. lol
Old 07-23-2011, 06:25 AM

What a great tip! I don't have air conditioning and it is in the mid-90s here right now (and for the next week). I only quilt late at night and early in the morning otherwise my iron and lights heat up the room too much! LOL.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

really! i've heard of hanging wet sheets in front of a fan or window. great idea!!
Old 07-23-2011, 07:45 AM

Don't let the cool air go to your head! I mean cooking? Really??? LOL :lol: :roll:
Old 07-23-2011, 07:52 AM

Glad you found something that works!
Old 07-23-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
My worst heat memory:

Melbourne, Australia, 1968. 9th month of pregnancy. Riding to last Dr. checkup on diesel bus, NO A/C, windows only could open 4", stop-and-go city traffic. Temperature 114!!! (No A/C in houses either!)
Glad that is a memory.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:58 AM

Everyone should come to South Florida to cool off and bring your swim fins!