Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Birthing method for larger quilts? >

Birthing method for larger quilts?

Birthing method for larger quilts?

Old 07-26-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by ggquilter
When I make quilts this way I make the back in 2 pieces (even if it is all one fabric) and leave an area in the center of the seam that is back stitched a few stitches on both ends of about 12 inches of large, basting stitches that will be easy to remove. I press the seam to one side and layer up the quilt and stitch all around the 4 sides. I open the seam in the center of the seam on the back and turn the quilt. I close the seam on the back by hand and I never have to deal with that edge on the out edge that is nearly impossible to turn and stitch so it doesn't show.
What a great idea!! Thanks for sharing
Old 07-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

I use the "birthing method" almost exclusively for small quilts - table runners, placemats, baby quilts and wall quilts, but not for larger quilts, twin-size and above. It's personal preference, but I think the larger quilts are easier to quilt, then add the binding. You can always try it and see if you like the results.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:06 PM

The only time I did this, it was a queen size biscuit quilt. I do not recommend trying that. (It was a three day wrestling match) I don't see why it would not work for a larger quilt, just remember to measure carefully, and use lots of pins or clips before you sew. I wish you good luck. :-D
Old 07-26-2011, 08:59 PM

Is there a reason this process is called "birthing?"
Old 07-27-2011, 05:43 AM

I did it with a queen size quilt about 20 years ago. I had trouble when I tried to machine quilt it, but I don't think I put enough pins in it to hold it securely. Live and learn.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by JNCT14
Ali I agree on the binding but conversely a binding can sometimes detract from the design. So I wanted to be sure I had a method that would work if I didn't want a binding.
Thanks for posting this! I did not know one could use this method on quilts and will check out Crafty Bear's lesson.

Using this method would not rule out having the design element that a binding provides... you can still apply borders to your quilt top before sewing the pieces together.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by ccthomas
Is there a reason this process is called "birthing?"
I think it's because you put the quilt top and backing right sides together (with the batting either on the top or bottom), stitch all around the edges leaving an opening for turning, then reach in and pull the right side out throught the opening, sort of "giving birth" to the quilt. I just call it "pillowcase" style (sounds less painful!).
Old 07-27-2011, 07:57 AM

I would think that with a larger piece, just make sure your edge seams are straight and pin liberally. Also check that the corners are sharp. I like this method, also called a knife edge border. Huge time saving step!
Old 07-27-2011, 08:22 AM

When I "birth" a quilt, I take a corner and roll it towards you. Then reach inside and pull the roll out. So much easier to turn right side out than trying to pull the whole quilt out that little opening. Also on the side where I leave the opening, I sew a 1/2" seam, then I trim the batting at the opening down 1/2". This way when you stitch the opening closed, you dont have the bulk of the batting to deal with and also it is nicer to tuck in the 1/2" seam than a 1/4" seam. I dont think I would be successful doing FMQ after it is turned. I only birth quilts on ones Im going to tie.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:37 PM

The one time I've done it years ago in the begining of my quilting career, I messed it up. I thought I had the backing cut correctly but when I started sewing it was wasn't wide enough. I still have it basted in the computer room. DH doesn't realize it's not finished. He uses it in the winter.

I may try again, being very careful to measure several times before I cut.