Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever cut yourself with a rotary cutter?? >

Have you ever cut yourself with a rotary cutter??

Have you ever cut yourself with a rotary cutter??

Old 08-13-2011, 01:35 PM

Not yet.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:40 PM

I've never seen the guards for rulers that have been mentioned -how do they attach to the ruler? I guess I better get one-is there an online site I can order from? And to you poor ladies that have really done a number on your fingers-what an icky tale to tell!
Old 08-13-2011, 01:44 PM

Yes! Last weekend of May, my rotary cutter slipped and I cut off about 1/3 of my index finger. I opted to not go to the hospital to have it sewn back on. A doctor lives next door and he came over. When he unwrapped the towels I had around it, I hit the floor. Fortunately, a wound care nurse lives on the opposite side of me. She told me to clean it once or twice with peroxide. After that, keep it clean with antibiotic ointment on it and wrapped.

It has grown back and you can never tell. I don't have exact feeling on the tip of that finger. It may or may not have feeling again.

Believe it or not, it never hurt. The nurse said it didn't because I had cut off the nerve endings. I made a makeshift splint so that I wouldn't hit it on anything out of a papertowel core.

I have since bought a shield that attaches to the 6x24 ruler and that works great. Also someone gave me a Klutz glove to use.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:48 PM

Oh yes, just last night while sewing dropped the rotary cutter and of course the blade was engaged. It bounced off the leg of my work table and hit my heel on right foot as I was bare footed. At first didn't think it had cut, but then looked again and blood was all over the place. Normally I close it when I am finished, this time just forgot. It happens.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

Yes
Old 08-13-2011, 02:11 PM

Oh yes,i dropped the old kind of Olfa and it was closed,on my big toe.What a mess,but it stopped bleeding.No DR no hospital,i was lucky.Connie in CO
Old 08-13-2011, 02:13 PM

At my LQS the story is that more than one person has cut themself there....one had to be rushed to hospital for stitches.

I've been on coumadin (sp?) and have been very careful when using the rotary cutter......just shaving my legs has become a big deal for nicks !
Old 08-13-2011, 03:13 PM

I am glad your injury was not too serious. I have to be extremely careful as I am on Coumadin (blood thinner) I have to admit it makes me paranoid sometimes.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:26 PM

I'm with 68. Seven stitches, and a scar on the second finger of my left hand. Just looked up for a moment to talk with my husband. Moral of the story? Don't talk!
Old 08-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Banned

Yep. I was using my rotary cutter really late at night, and the phone rang and it startled me so much that the cutter jumped the ruler and cut a slice off my index finger. It didn't hurt, but I bled like crazy. And, it was a wrong number.