cat harness

Old 08-14-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by sewellie
Does anyone know of a pattern that I could use on my cat as a harness. There is something called thundershirt.com where you can purchase one, but it's for a dog and I would like to make one for my cat when we take her camping. It would be made out of a lightweight fabric like flannel or something to that effect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It isn't that she's afraid of thunder, it's because I don't want her to wander off when we're camping. My neighbor and I watch each other's animals while we're away and she was taking care of mine the last time (1 month ago) we went camping. Someone came on our property and shot her in the head with a pellet gun. Shattered her jaw on the right side, broke the bottom jaw and lodged in her neck. She is doing very well right now, but I just can't risk letting her roam around this neighborhood anymore. She somehow got through the cat door and went to our bedroom where my neighbor found her laying in a pool of blood and picked her up and took her to the kindest vet in the world.
So you see why I need to find something. I tried a dog harness but she slips out of it. I would like to attach it with velcroe so I could adjust it to her size.
Thanks for listening.
I don't know about a pattern but they do have small harnesses. I had a puppy that was smaller than my cat and it fit her. Doesn't choke like a collar would. And doesn't slip out.

That is terrible that someone could do that to your cat. There are a lot of people who don't like cats outside because they dig and pee in flower beds, but to do that is just terrible. The cat I have, someone dumped her in my neighbors back yard. She was about 5 weeks old. Where are peoples heads and how can they be so cruel to a little living thing.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Does anyone know of a pattern that I could use on my cat as a harness. There is something called thundershirt.com where you can purchase one, but it's for a dog and I would like to make one for my cat when we take her camping. It would be made out of a lightweight fabric like flannel or something to that effect.

It isn't that she's afraid of thunder, it's because I don't want her to wander off when we're camping. My neighbor and I watch each other's animals while we're away and she was taking care of mine the last time (1 month ago) we went camping. Someone came on our property and shot her in the head with a pellet gun. Shattered her jaw on the right side, broke the bottom jaw and lodged in her neck. She is doing very well right now, but I just can't risk letting her roam around this neighborhood anymore. She somehow got through the cat door and went to our bedroom where my neighbor found her laying in a pool of blood and picked her up and took her to the kindest vet in the world.
So you see why I need to find something. I tried a dog harness but she slips out of it. I would like to attach it with velcroe so I could adjust it to her size.
Thanks for listening.
There is no punishment cruel enough for entities like that.
THEY ARE DOING THE SAME HERE SHOOTING CATS,SKINNINGTHEM,AND ECT THIS IS IN LEXINGTON AREA OF KENTUCKY.I SEEN THIS ON THE NEWS.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:54 AM

The pet stores has a soft harness for little dogs. Perhaps you could find one there, I have one for my Chihuahua that would fit my cat.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:17 AM

I got a spam email today from "comfycontrolharnessdeal.com" showing a great dog harness that maybe the small size might fit a cat or you could make your own version of this. I thought it would be a great harness for an animal.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

We got a cat harness at a pet store and the cats couldn't slip out of it. Only one of our cats loved it because we would tie him outside on a sunny day so he could "bake". We stayed close by in case of tangles or "visitors" - the others didn't like to do that. Be sure they can't wriggle out of whatever you decide on - they are very slippery, those kitties!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:33 AM

Here's a link:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7788987_make...s-holster.html
Old 08-14-2011, 10:40 AM

Thank you for the post about the dog harness at Moda Bake Shop. I have been looking for one that will fit my daughter's two dachshunds. Coal is a mini black and tan male and weighs only 7 lbs. Sugarfoot is a standard piebald female . She weighs about 12 lbs. Any ready made harness usually tears up or gets fuzz stuck to it when washed. So thank you for the tip. I went to the site and downloaded the instructions for the harness . Now to find the fabrics locally to make it.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:19 PM

I don't have a pattern, but I purchased the Small animal harness-- for rabbits-- and my cat does really well with. It has velcro and parachute fasteners at the neck and around the chest under front legs. Cames with a matching leash. He loves going out and sits and purrs while I put it on him.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray

Thanks for listening.
There is no punishment cruel enough for entities like that.
I am so thankful that your neighbor found her and that she is doing okay. It makes my blood boil to hear about it. And I still get angry when I feel the pellets in Arlo. Good luck with the harness. I hope you find what you need. Give your kitty some strokes for me!
Old 08-14-2011, 12:32 PM

I don't think something that form fitting would be very nice for the cat. My cat hates his halter, but I think I would spend the money to buy one at Walmart, etc. Cats are escape artists, and the ones you buy are made for this. Make a nice leash or put nifty trims on the store bought one for personality. ;)