Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your favourite sewing machine and why? >

What is your favourite sewing machine and why?

What is your favourite sewing machine and why?

Old 08-18-2011, 02:58 AM
tmg

What I would do. Is first see how much you can spend. Then go to a dealer and test drive the machines and see which one you like best.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:05 AM

I love my Juki! Of course it is great for FMQ because of the long harp, but it is also the greatest for piecing-- don't need leaders/enders, as it DOES NOT suck in the fabric at the start of sewing.

For fancy stitches, applique, blanket stitch, nothing beats my Bernina.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:06 AM

Love my Pfaff :D
Old 08-18-2011, 03:09 AM

My Brother Nouvelle 1500s is my favourite.It has adjustable pressure for the sewing foot,adjustable height and is a straight stitcher that goes through ver thick material effortlessly.I also like the fact that it is not computerised.It has a 9" harp.

'
Old 08-18-2011, 03:28 AM

A 301 is a dandy machine and you can take it with you if you go to a class, retreat etc. Can't go wrong.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:02 AM

I love my babylock Espire, can't say anything bad about it
Old 08-18-2011, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
I just had to replace my beloved Bernina 1260. I went back to the local dealer and made a great deal on a used Bernina Artista 185. I didn't need the embroidery module and I don't machine quilt anything bigger than a Linus quilt so I wasn't interested in the bigger throat area. I got it for at least a third of what it sold for new. He even gave me store credit for all of the feet I had purchased over the years for the 1260 which I was able to use to purchase the feet and extra bobbins I needed for the newer machine.It has loads of built in decorative stitches and the wider stitch widith that allows for even better decorative motifs. I was shocked how expensive the bobbins are but I have been busy rounding up the dozens of old bobbins I have. I am pretty sure he will make me a deal for a number of the new ones I need in exchange. I had purchased a much less expensive Bernina thinking to take it on retreat etc. since it is much lighter in weight. I thought I could get along with just it when my 1260 died. I learned the hard way that the extra weight in the machine is what makes it so reliable. The vibration in the lighter machine when I put the pedal to the metal drove me crazy. I kept it for retreats and workshops but I can't stand to sew on it daily.
What a generous businessman he is. It's nice to feel trust in a transaction especially when you're dealing with a high-end product. I have a Janome 2010, I really like it, but having used a Bernina in classes, I'm dreaming of one.
Blessings,
Angela
Old 08-18-2011, 04:13 AM

Love my Janome MC6300 for quilting, garments, home decorating, and hockey equipment repairs. Has 9" throat and push button thread cutter. Feel like a queen every time I sit down to it.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
I love my babylock Espire, can't say anything bad about it
I had a Babylock Esante, but I was so new to sewing, still worked outside the home, and the machine scared me. I bought it used from a dealer. It was very, very heavy.
I sold it a few years ago then bought a more basic machine Janome 2010.
I still think about that Babylock and how smooth it worked. Someday I'll get another or maybe a Bernina. But I still think of Babylock!!!!
Old 08-18-2011, 04:20 AM

Thanks so much everyone. I have lots to research now. I just bought some *more* fabric....I have boxes and boxes of the stuff - so I have to stop making excuses and start making quilts:) I know I am not the only one - when you are starting out it seems so overwhelming and intricate!