Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use a leader when you piece? >

Do you use a leader when you piece?

Do you use a leader when you piece?

Old 08-19-2011, 08:42 AM

I took a class last year from Sally Collins - the precision piecing guru. She highly recommends leaders and chain piecing and starting with the needle down. She seems to specialize in miniatures and so the pieces are really small we were working with. I also try and remember to use and single hold needle plate. There is a neat book By Bonnie Hunter called Adventures With Leaders and Enders. Gives patterns of what you can do with your leaders and enders. To answer your question - I use leaders most all the time and always when chain piecing.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by dallen4350
Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
So, I'm trying to understand what a leader is for. Is it just to keep the thread from bunching as you start sewing? Doesn't just holding the thread as you start sewing accomplish that? Or is it for something else...
Not exactly sure exactly what a leader is, but I use a folded over scrap of fabric at the beginning and ending of each piecing/chain of piecing. Yes, holding the thread would do the same. But this keeps all the loose threads that you would normally have to trim on the scrap of fabric. It is faster than pulling up the bobbin thread and holding the top and bobbin threads. I think it may also use less thread.

Just my opinion.
Hmm, ok. I don't have a problem with bunching, because I just hang onto the threads when I start sewing, but saving on thread sounds good...
Old 08-19-2011, 08:46 AM

almost always for me!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:53 AM

Never use them. Have never had a need to.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:03 AM
Banned

I do but I usually always try to thave the next piece ready so only use them when theres nothing else to sew.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:05 AM

I keep a little basket of 2 inch squares next to my machine. I use two and stitch them together. They go into another basket. Someday I'll have enough to make a scrappy. Sounds like I need to check out Bonnie's book.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

Always, but I use squares that I sew together to make scrappy quilts.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:10 AM

I found it to be a pain, I only use it if I'm sewing triangles, for some reason it keeps the feed dogs from eating the point.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:14 AM

always. a scrap 3/4 x 1 or so.

I'm not yet organized enough yet to have the precuts for a "future" quilt to use as leaders.

When I'm chain piecing, I leave a tad more than 1/4" between the units. I clip in between, leaving both with a bit of tail.

When units opened & sewing next seam, the little tails tell me where the seam is. Right now, I'm sewing strips of 8 of 1.5" stamps. so, opened up, I can see if the two squares I'm sewing together are the same finished width, and adjust seam allowance accordingly.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

I don't and it seems to work well for me.