Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Call me dumb, but what is? >

Call me dumb, but what is?

Call me dumb, but what is?

Old 08-31-2011, 06:09 AM

That is not a dumb question and certainly you are not dumb for asking! I learned a long time ago that the only dumb questions were the ones you don't ask!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:19 AM

If you are making all the blocks for yourself, then you can use any size seam you like BUT if you are swapping blocks, PLEASE use a scant quarter inch seam. I have participated in swaps where some of the blocks were unusable because they were much too small. Sewing that scant quarter inch was a real challenge for me but I am happy that I have come closer to mastering it.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
You know, that's something that I just can't be bothered with. Maybe I'm wrong but I just do the regular quarter inch.
:thumbup:
Old 08-31-2011, 06:49 AM
Banned

I too use a 1/4" foot and have found that many of the quilterscache.com patterns say use a SCANT 1/4"....it is very hard to do, so my 12 1/2" blocks always end up a perfect 12 1/4"....that bugs me...
Old 08-31-2011, 06:52 AM

I hate that quarter scant why couldn't they just make the pattern a little bigger to allow for the turnover. I can't get them exactly right I will not do a pattern with a scant that's what my quarter foot is for and if I can't use it then I pass on it.....
Old 08-31-2011, 06:55 AM

I am still trying to get a consistent 1/4 inch. Keep wondering about all the quilters who preceded us...no rotary cutters and rulers for straight cuts, no seam guides, no fancy equipment and they turned out fabulous quilts...hmmmmm I am a sissy lol.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:01 AM

It's frustrating, that's what it is.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:04 AM

LOL..your not dumb..this has always been an issue with me..I have designed and quilted for years..also teach some classes for a LQS ..personally ..mathematically..a 1/4 inch is a 1/4 inch..if someone wants me to do a scant..then they need to tell me to do 3/16 or something..lol..it still drives me crazy !! I know all the excuses they use for why they do it..but I find if u do exact 1/4 it works out fine !!
Old 08-31-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by dd
I say consistency is more important.
I totally agree with this!!
Old 08-31-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Suzy
When I first started quilting I made sure I had an exact 1/4", but depending on the thread I used it wasn't coming out as a 1/4". The thread was a little heavy and therefore the blocks weren't pressing out to what I needed. In learning more as going along I found that using a finer thread and setting the machine needle to just a shy 1/4" was the way to go. Your points are not sewn into the seams etc. After awhile it will become automatic. My personnel preference for thread is aurifil 50wt. makes my piecing so much easier.

Good Luck

Suzy
Yes, the thread we use can make a difference! But ones 'style of sewing can also make a difference. One of my quilting buddies (newbie, she is on her third quilt) was complaining about her blocks not coming out the correct size. After looking at her seams, that was her problem. She was using her 1/4" foot (Janome with a 'guard') BUT she was pushing her fabric so it rolled against the guard. We went through the process of 'testing' her machine for a 1/4" seam. For her she just want the fabric to 'feather' touch the guard. Her next blocks came out wonderful. :)

Every machine, even if it is the same manufacture, will be different. Plus making sure our 1/4" foot is a 1/4". And of course the thread. Then we get into pressing. ALL will make a difference for your 1/4" seams. Once we get them figured out, things will be more rewarding.

With the above taken care of, seeing patterns that say 'scant' (a thread or two) will not be so daunting.