Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I could cry.... >

I could cry....

I could cry....

Old 09-01-2011, 03:56 AM

Sorry this happened, but there are always differences, unless it comes from the same dye, batch, lot, etc. You will find the same problems with any fabric, wallpaper, paint, etc. It can be a difference in the material used to color the item, as well as the raw material to be colored as well.

I would just find something complimentary to use for this and find another great project for the rest of the fabric :)
Old 09-01-2011, 03:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J.M.
I don't know if the 7 meters will be enough for all the blocks (they say about 7 1/2 yards for this quilt, which means I might just have enough - or I might just be a bit short, probably the latter),
FYI
7-1/2 yards = 6.858 metres

Therefore, you have enough, along with a little to spare.

For something like Sylvia's Bridal Sampler, you probably will prefer the sashing to be different than the background of the blocks, as it will help to frame up each individual sampler block.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:02 AM

I would get some dye and put both pieces in it and see if the end result unified the pieces enough before perchasing more.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:23 AM

Yep
Old 09-01-2011, 04:25 AM

My gosh, how large a quilt are you making? Re quilt backs, I love to make pieced backsso there is interest on both sides. Will your two fabrics play nice together if they are separated by a strip of coordinating fabrics or blocks? Here are a couple examples

One side tiny blue hearts, the other side is pink
[ATTACH=CONFIG]249942[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-249936.jpe   attachment-249937.bmp  
Old 09-01-2011, 05:27 AM

Well, if the focus fabric is for the background of the blocks, you could alterante the color in teh background. On the first block, use the 7 meter fabric, on the second block use the different shadde fabric and so on. That should look good. Or else use the one for the background and use the other for the other parts of the block. It's hard to say without knowing the block you are working on and where the focus fabric would be.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by onthelake
I think I would use the original 7 meter purchase and find another fabric that looks great with it instead of buying all new fabric.
I agree. But get something that is a bit different, so it looks like a design decision instead of a running out of fabric desicion. Good luck!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by J.M.
Last december I bought background fabric for a quilt, I needed 11 meters but they only had 7 on roll - but they could order it, they said. All right, I bought the 7 meters, but it is now august and they still have no idea when the rest of my fabric is going to be in. So I found another store - a webshop I had ordered from before - that had the same fabric. Everything matched, number, line, brand, even the picture. But now I've got it and although it is the same fabric, the color difference is BIG. I have no idea why, different color bath, maybe the fabric from the store was out in the light too long, I don't know. But there is no way I can use both of them in my quilt. *cries*

Luckily I haven't started my quilt yet (I was smart enough to wait until I had all my fabric), but now I have a dilemma. I need to start searching for a good background fabric again (difficult enought the first time) and I need 11 meters of it (almost impossible to do, even though it need not be one piece); or I could use the 7 meters I have and find another fabric that looks nice with it and use that for all the sashing. The last one seems like a good option but I don't know if the 7 meters will be enough for all the blocks (they say about 7 1/2 yards for this quilt, which means I might just have enough - or I might just be a bit short, probably the latter), and it would change how I want the quilt to look. But after almost a year, I am dispairing of actually finding 11 meters of fabric...

Can you return the fabric to the original store? You bought it with the understanding that they would get you more.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:20 AM

Why don't you post the fabric on this board. Maybe some of us have your fabric in our stash?
Old 09-01-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by My time
Why don't you post the fabric on this board. Maybe some of us have your fabric in our stash?
Ah, I'm in the Netherlands, so getting the fabric here is quite a hassle, and then it still might be a different color - as seen by the two pieces of exactly the same fabric I have at home. But thanks for the suggestion.

I must admit that I am not much of a gambler, and the book also says the yardage (sp?) is an approximation, not to mention that I changed the color choices for the blocks and therefore will probably need a little more of the background fabric in some of the blocks. The blocks are all different, some use paper piecing, others simple piecing, and yet others use templates; I think there's even a applique block in there. So calculating exactly how much I would need is a lost cause (I'm not great at math to begin with). Not to mention that several of the blocks are more difficult than anthing I've tried before, so I'm also taking mistakes into account when looking at the fabric.

Basically, I'm too afraid that if I gamble on the 7 meters being enough (which I agree it should be), then I will make like 139 blocks and won't have enough fabric for that final block...and that certainly wouldn't look like a design descision! So next weekend there's a quilting exhibit with vendors near where I live and I will go there and buy about 2 meters of coordinating fabric to the 7 meters I have, and then I'll make 2 blocks with my original fabric and 1 block with the new fabric, so I get a 2:1 ratio of blocks, give or take a few, random over the entire sampler. That should look like a design decision, even though it started out as an 'emergency solution'.