dog's hot spots.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:56 AM

Have the same problem with my dachshund. Vet prescribed Allecore. It's an antihostamine too, but doesn''t make him
sleepy, and it's cheap!!

Originally Posted by bobbie1
We have a corgi and have problems with him chewing on his legs/feet. He is either licking or biting (for lack of better description.) He is tan so where he bites, etc, they are now ugly brown. What helps is to give him allergy meds and then he sleeps all day. Hate to drug him up so if anyone has some suggestions I would certainly appreciate hearing them. Thanks.

Not sure if these would be called hot spots or not. Never had a dog in our home before. Much less a "pampered" one. :-D Honestly he thinks he is human.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:11 AM

Our yellow lab got hot spots from being wet all weekend. His whole head ended up being shaved and we had to give him 2 pills and a spray. We just have to make sure he gets dried really good when he gets out of the water. Probably not the same thing as yours but it can get serious if not taken care of right away.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:49 AM

We had a Wheaten Terrier and he had skin issues all the time. The vet prescribed Temeril for his problem. One half of a pill solved his itching, chewing, biting.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:29 PM

<Edie
Our dog had hot spots - turned out to be Thrush - very uncomfortable.>

hmm I Hadn't heard of Thrush any where but the mouth. Learn some thing new every day. But since Thrush is a yeast infection I would think it could be treated as such. Fungal just like ringworm. For most yeast infections I use OTC yeast cream . Worked much better than all the meds my doc gave my kid for ring worm.+ Yogurt and probiotics.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:39 PM

Along with the ThunderShirt, a Calming Collar helps during thunderstorms.

http://www.calmingcollars.com/

My Ruby had what I thought was hot spots. I got a few different things from the vet but nothing helped. As I look back on the issue, we were in the process of moving. I think the spots could have been a result of stress. I did use cornstarch and they disappeared. Can't say if the cornstarch helped or the fact that we settled down. Cornstarch is cheap and I don't know of any adverse affects from it. Worth a try to dry up spots.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:56 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Prism99
You might want to try a thundershirt for him. Works not only in thunder storms, but also to soothe and comfort. Here is a link to them on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Thundershirt-A...dp/B0028QK6EY/
How amazing!! I went to this link, read a bunch of the reviews, and I sort of feel about it like I do the bar of soap in my bed for leg cramps.......who cares why, if it really works!

Makes me wish I had an indoor furbaby to try it on.

Jan in VA
Old 09-16-2011, 03:10 PM

I have been watching this thread.

My GSD occasionally gets hot spots.

Usually they do flair up with foods he eats and he gets ear infections... mostly yeast type.

I found a great solution that seems to keep the ear infections at bay, unless my hubby or the kids give him breads or sweets. It is called Zymotic Enzymatic Solution.

Another thing I do is put plain old cornstarch onto his hot spot the minutes he starts at it. It helps dry out the weeping and seems to help with the itching/healing time.

Good luck to your little buddy!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:44 PM

Derma coat spray works wonders.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:25 PM

Try Sayman Salve on them. I get it at Wal Mart and send to my brother in Philly for hot spots on their Yorkie. It works.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
<Edie
Our dog had hot spots - turned out to be Thrush - very uncomfortable.>

hmm I Hadn't heard of Thrush any where but the mouth. Learn some thing new every day. But since Thrush is a yeast infection I would think it could be treated as such. Fungal just like ringworm. For most yeast infections I use OTC yeast cream . Worked much better than all the meds my doc gave my kid for ring worm.+ Yogurt and probiotics.
Oh yes, Bridget had it on her sides, her neck. Thank God JBud's pet didn't have it - it had an ear infection. Good thing we have Vets huh? Our minds can run amok with our pets!!!!! I wouldn't wish Thrush on any animal. Good going, JBud to get your dog to the vet right away. Sounds like an E-Collar is going to be necessary, which is almost worse than the owie!!!!! Both Bridget and Bess hated E-Collars as I think most dogs do. I am glad the dog will be just fine. Edie