Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I have no idea >
  • I have no idea

• I have no idea

Old 09-19-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by HomespunHandmaiden
    I see a few big blogs make so many quilts using only designer fabrics and I'm wondering if they are given the fabrics in order to advertise the fabric line. Is this possible?
    It's very common for fabric designers/manufactureres to provide fabrics for people to use to create examples of what can be done with their products. Whether this is the case with the quilts on the blogs is impossible to know unless the information is provided.

But after having done a good bit of research on fabrics, I am of the opinion that quilters need to stop worrying about where they buy their fabric and choose what will go with their project. Some of us are making the assumption that buying $13 + a yard fabric provides some magic potion that will ensure eternal life for the quilt.

The people who are buying fabric at yard sales and at thrift stores are always proud of their finds, yet have no idea where the fabric originated unless the designer/manufacturer is printed on the selvedge. I think some of us have minds that are absolutely compartmentalized!

I am willing to bet--although I won't be around to collect--that my quilts made with Wal Mart fabric and your quilt made with a garage sale find, will be around in 30 years just like the quilt made with fabric purchased at an LQS. froggyintexas
    Old 09-19-2011, 12:01 PM
    Power Poster

I have heard from different sources that "famous" quilters are often sent fabric from various manufacturers to promote their fabric lines, as well as getting samples of their own fabric lines. Since I'm not that talented to be a nationally known quilt teacher or quite artistic enough to design my own line of fabric, I'll just use the same ole sources for fabric as I have always done, JoAnn's, Wal-Mart, and many online fabric shops when I can afford them and especially with the first two, I always check the quality before I buy. My Mom taught me how to pick out good quality fabric when I was fairly young, so I have always stuck with the knowledge that she gave me. Sorry, long answer to a short question.
    Old 09-19-2011, 01:18 PM

The FTC has published rules on this subject. Go to the link below. You can read the actual text in PDF format by clicking on the blue link on the side of the page that says
    "Text Of The Federal Register Notice".
    http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/10/endortest.shtm
    Also check out the link below where the law is explained so a human can understand it!
    http://internet-law.lawyers.com/Trut...ure-Rules.html
    Old 09-19-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
    I see a few big blogs make so many quilts using only designer fabrics and I'm wondering if they are given the fabrics in order to advertise the fabric line. Is this possible?
    It's very common for fabric designers/manufactureres to provide fabrics for people to use to create examples of what can be done with their products. Whether this is the case with the quilts on the blogs is impossible to know unless the information is provided.

But after having done a good bit of research on fabrics, I am of the opinion that quilters need to stop worrying about where they buy their fabric and choose what will go with their project. Some of us are making the assumption that buying $13 + a yard fabric provides some magic potion that will ensure eternal life for the quilt.

The people who are buying fabric at yard sales and at thrift stores are always proud of their finds, yet have no idea where the fabric originated unless the designer/manufacturer is printed on the selvedge. I think some of us have minds that are absolutely compartmentalized!

I am willing to bet--although I won't be around to collect--that my quilts made with Wal Mart fabric and your quilt made with a garage sale find, will be around in 30 years just like the quilt made with fabric purchased at an LQS. froggyintexas
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 09-19-2011, 01:29 PM

Quilt Market (for retailers) is next month and lots of samples are being made up to hang in booths to sell both new fabric and patterns.
    Old 09-19-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR

No, there isn't.
    Yes, there is. http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...ple-are-asking
    Old 09-19-2011, 01:38 PM

I would suspect they are. I took an advertising course once, and you'd be surprised (or maybe you WOULDN'T be) of all the companies that give their products away so they can say "More doctors use...whatever". Probably happens with fabrics and notions, too.