cotton rope/clothesline

Old 10-04-2011, 12:41 PM

Vernell: never thought of that.
Update: I bought some upholstery cording at Jo-Ann's using my 40% off coupon. Don't remember the thickness, but I know it was bigger than 3/16. Any larger and it would not have fit under my presser foot. I've made 5 trivets so far and am enjoying doing something different. thanks, all, for your comments.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:27 PM

Hardward store.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:20 PM

I found cotton clothesline for a bag I am making at Lowe's. It was shelved with laundry supplies though, not with rope.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:37 PM

Hi, The cotton clotheline is now packaged differently at Walmart. It is now wrapped around a black plastic form and is hung on a wall.
Joanns now has the clotheline rope. it is called crafting rope and they keep it on the wall where the ironing supplies are. it sells for 4.99 and will be cheaper with a coupon.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:02 PM

I bought some at Ace Hardware Meaning cotton rope also found some at Wal mart but Ace had alot here in california.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

gosh- location must matter for clothes line- our regular grocery stores even have it in the isle where mops, brooms, clothes pins- are
it is everywhere- and most of it is 100% cotton- either in 1/4" or 1/2"...i find it amazing you can not find it anywhere-
Old 10-04-2011, 05:46 PM

If you can't find it locally it's available through the catalog of www.vermontcountrystore.com 100 feet of 1/4" rope, $9.95.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
Not really quilting, so I thought I'd better put it under "general Chit-chat".
I've been to Lowe's, Home Depot, Target and Wal-Mart. The only store that sells cotton rope is Wal-Mart and they only have one size. I'm making fabric covered trivets and don't want to use nylon or poly rope - it melts. I want to use natural fibers. As a last ditch effort, I bought some sisal (large twine). That's natural. Thought I was pretty smart until driving home I wondered if my machine will sew through it......sigh. Will let you know.
For those of you who are making the mats and/or bowls, where are you getting your cotton rope?
BarbaraTx, you read my mind. I recently discovered locker hook bowls and I'm looking for a source of inexpensive cord. My 2 DDs are eager to make some, too. My plan is to make them for Christmas presents, but they need to be cost effective. Thanks for reading my mind!
:-D
Old 10-04-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by sewlisa
Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
Not really quilting, so I thought I'd better put it under "general Chit-chat".
I've been to Lowe's, Home Depot, Target and Wal-Mart. The only store that sells cotton rope is Wal-Mart and they only have one size. I'm making fabric covered trivets and don't want to use nylon or poly rope - it melts. I want to use natural fibers. As a last ditch effort, I bought some sisal (large twine). That's natural. Thought I was pretty smart until driving home I wondered if my machine will sew through it......sigh. Will let you know.
For those of you who are making the mats and/or bowls, where are you getting your cotton rope?
BarbaraTx, you read my mind. I recently discovered locker hook bowls and I'm looking for a source of inexpensive cord. My 2 DDs are eager to make some, too. My plan is to make them for Christmas presents, but they need to be cost effective. Thanks for reading my mind!
:-D
Walmart clothesline rope sells for 2.97 for 100 ft. an it is 3/16" perfect size for under the presserfoot.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:19 PM

I found cotton clothesline at True Value Hardware Store. It is very hard to locate any these days, and I like to use only cotton, too.