Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many UFO's? >

How many UFO's?

How many UFO's?

Old 10-08-2011, 05:51 AM

Yesterday i finished my grandmothers UFO from the late 1920's (will try to post photo w/SIL help) today i start quilting 2 of my WIP (one was cut out with sissors in the 1970's) that are pinned and ready. Then there are a couple of years of BOM's that need shashes and borders. I have completed several this year and hope to finish the remainder before the first of January 2012.

I have a pin to ward off the quilt police. :roll:
Old 10-08-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by weezie
Mine are all WIPs. Whoever suggested you learn to finish what you start should learn that it's not necessary to share her every thought. Since words cannot be taken back, the unkind thoughts are best left unsaid.
ROFLOL......really funny, well stated!!

have to remember the "not necessary to share every thought"

you really made my day TYVM
Old 10-08-2011, 06:10 AM

wow, i just made a list the other day, so i know the number right away - 32............i am determine to chip away at the list!!!!
Old 10-08-2011, 06:40 AM

currently 9, 5 of which I want finished by the end of the year.

lovers knot
binding on my irish chain
straightlaced-my asian quilt
patriotic rail fence
my best friends wall hanging for her wedding

Others will be for next year, but I need to have most of these quilted so If can't afford might be finished next year, but i want the tops done this year so I can work on my new projects the beginning of next year
Old 10-08-2011, 07:22 AM

Not enough! LOL
Old 10-08-2011, 07:43 AM

Who hasn't gone through or is still in a collecting phase? When you don't have time to actually sew, there's always time at the grocery store to grab a new magazine, a "to die for" FQ as you dash through the store buying science fair stuff with the kids, or a new book from the half price book store which is right next to your favorite restaurant?

Next time someone asks how many things you've finished reply, "Quilting is an art. Just like Picasso went through a blue period, I am in my 'collecting' period.". :)
Old 10-08-2011, 09:27 AM

I set myself a goal to finish my CT UFOs before I go to AZ for the winter. With 5 weeks left, I only have 2 to go - if I don't count the 4 AZ tops I brought with me! I think I'll take them back to AZ, so I'm not counting them as CT UFOs - LOL. I'm about to work on those 2 CT UFOs - blocks from the black/white exchange 2 years ago. I made enough for that exchange to wind up with 2 quilts, and I have them made 'in my head.' I even used my winning in the Bunny Hop that year to buy lime fabric as the sashing for one of the quilts, so I don't even have the excuse that I don't know how to 'finish' the quilts. I'm on a roll!
Old 10-08-2011, 01:15 PM

I have so many tucked away that I can't find them all!!
Old 10-08-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by TangleJaw
I have started a number of projects..... a conversation about me walking to the gas station in the dark came up with the sarcasm of being kidnapped to a sweat shop to teach me to sew.... well it got to the point where I was told me someone would teach me how to sew. I retorted of course that i do know how.

You know what her next stament was?

"Oh, well they'll teach you how to finish stuff. Can you tell me the number of how many things you've finished?"

I had no way to answer this, considering i havent finished anything! But im going to this month, i have a doll quilt to do! ;)
Well, Nobody has mentioned Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). I have it, with severe memory problems, and won't deny it! A lot of women who sew have it. Many of them seem to gravitate to quilting! I have 10 pizza boxes with somewhere between 4-9 projects each in 9 of them. And an unfinished quilt in one. You can do the math if you want. I don't care about the number! Just because they are not finished is nobody's business.

I work on many of them when the mood hits me. Sometimes I need a color that I don't have in my stash at the moment and have to set it aside until I can shop. Sometimes I get stumped as to what or how I should proceed. Letting some time pass can give you fresh eyes! I have forgotten about a project, open a box and am pleasantly surprised to continue working on it.

Those who don't have interest in the needle arts don't always understand. Sometimes they also don't understand where their boundaries end. They really don't have rights to your decision making, although they seem to think they do! I do my best to ignore ridicule from the peanut gallery. Sometimes it is hard to do, and it always seems to be there. But the owner of the body gets to make the decisions concerning things that affect him, not the nuts in the peanut gallery! LOL LOL :D :D :D :D :D Kitty
Old 10-08-2011, 01:28 PM

Okay, here's a theory. Some things are not meant to be finished. They are part of the creative learning process, much like preliminary sketches of a painting. Especially while you are learning and exploring different techniques, there are likely to be many projects that, once you've learned what you need to learn, you don't feel any particular need to finish. Consider giving away the ones that someone else might want to invest some time in and get rid of the rest. This may or may not apply to you but it does to some quilters and I hate to see people beat themselves up over UFO's that have actually done their job.