Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric/Stash/Hoard Organizers 11 cents each >

Fabric/Stash/Hoard Organizers 11 cents each

Fabric/Stash/Hoard Organizers 11 cents each

Old 10-20-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by watterstide
Good idea,
but i get the free cardboard bolts from Joanns and cut and use them. you just have to ask for them at the cutting counter..
these are also not acid free and not meant for long time storage!
You are right. I had some fabric I had gotten on a bolt when I lived in my other house. Moved here and took it off the bolt to ruler fold it. Now it had been on that bolt for only a couple years, but it had bleach lines on the outside and in several turns and inside where the board touched the fabric it had bleached out marks. I washed the fabric to see if the marks would come out, no luck. And when I held the fabric up to the light the part that was near the cardboard was thinner than the rest. No more boards of any kind for me. Also this room was a north facing room with only one window. Now all my fabric is stored in closets with doors using the ruler fold method, I also refold it every 6 months or so.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Good idea,
but i get the free cardboard bolts from Joanns and cut and use them. you just have to ask for them at the cutting counter..
these are also not acid free and not meant for long time storage!
And Joann's uses them for their fabric??? Hmmmm........
Old 10-20-2011, 06:23 AM

Joann fabric give me the boards the fabric comes on when they empty the bolt. I cut them in four pieces and it works out great.
For several yards I use the whole bolt.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:47 AM

[quote=ccrow99][quote=jaciqltznok]
And Joann's uses them for their fabric??? Hmmmm........
Joann's doesn't store them long term though- they go through inventory somewhat quickly.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:57 AM

I used cake boards that I got with coupons from Joanns and Michaels. I think there were 6boards in a pack and I cut 4boards from each. Reg. Price was about $5.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

I fold my fabric on comic book boards. I don't know if they are archival. That's not a concern to me to keep the same fabric for long term.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by nena
Joann fabric give me the boards the fabric comes on when they empty the bolt. I cut them in four pieces and it works out great.

yes, their fabric is stored on them for years too! i have never had a problem with my fabric on those joanns bolt holders..i have been quilting for at least 6 years.
the thing that would cause lightened fabric on the folds, is light.. mine are not exposed to sunlight..

But to each his own..use what YOU think best..

Now all my scrapbooking pages and storage IS acid free..
Old 10-20-2011, 07:53 AM

Ok...here is my idea, when at a fabric store, Joann, Hobby Lobby, LQS, I ask them if they have any empty bolts that I may have for free.....when I get home it takes a modest amount of time using a box cutter, to cut them to size. I cut off the ends where the label is, one side is already cut, and then just have to cut the other side in half. So from one bolt, I get 4 1/2 bolt cardboards....they are perfect and FREE
Old 10-20-2011, 07:54 AM

yes, their fabric is stored on them for years too! i have never had a problem with my fabric on those joanns bolt holders..i have been quilting for at least 6 years.
the thing that would cause lightened fabric on the folds, is light.. mine are not exposed to sunlight..

That was exactly my point and thanks for clearing this up. Why would Joann's use anything that wasn't safe for fabrics for any length of time? I think this is a great idea.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by ccrow99

That was exactly my point and thanks for clearing this up. Why would Joann's use anything that wasn't safe for fabrics for any length of time? I think this is a great idea.
First of all Joann DOES NOT PUT THE FABRIC ON THE BOLTS, the manufactor does, second they don't care what ever is fast and cheap.....works for them.....and when you think about it ...if the fabric is on the bolt that long "to go bad"....then you are not quilting enough

:roll: