Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • It's official....sewing machine is dead! >
  • It's official....sewing machine is dead!

• It's official....sewing machine is dead!

Old 10-25-2011, 04:19 AM
    Power Poster

http://muncie.craigslist.org/hsh/2667279841.html real nice Coronado (15 clone) in Muncie! Great price too!

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/art/2664310210.html this one could treadle but needs a lot of TLC

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/art/2639428252.html
    some Singer 503s

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/app/2650766596.html
    a Singer 401

A newer plastic machine could cost you a whole lot more
    Old 10-25-2011, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    Just got the call from the repair shop .... machine is dead and not worth the cost of revival. :-( So now the search for a new machine begins with a sense of urgency as I have one quilt almost done, one large king to be fmq and 3 to start....all before Christmas! I think I am gonna try to find a gently used machine....no embroidery....with the largest throat area I can afford.
    Smart move! So sorry for your loss. Been there :cry: :cry:
    Old 10-25-2011, 04:33 AM

Call your Bernina dealer.... Bernina's are made of stainless steel and will not wear out. They are sort of heavy, but are worth it to get a quality machine. They usually have some that were traded in by people who want the latest embroidery etc. Good Luck.
    Old 10-25-2011, 04:36 AM

Sorry to hear about your machine, look on the bright side, you get a new machine. Start calling the dealers in your area for used machines. Merry Christmas! :D
    Old 10-25-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    I think what's left of my mind has turned to mush. We are going tomorrow to look at machines, but in the meantime I have been internet researching. DH wants me to have what I want/need, but I really don't want to overstretch the budget. I'm having a hard time deciding between want and need. This will be my only machine for a while, so I need a good one to do piecing. But I also need one for fmq. The decorative/zigzag stitches are good once in a while too. I am so confused. How do you ever decide?
    Last week there was a used Janome 6500 at the quilt shop in Danville , Il for $450. (That's just over the state line a about 25 miles from Lafayette.) I know the owner and they are good with their servicing so I doubt they would sell one they weren't confident would work well. I don"t know if it had an extension table. I just upgraded from a Brother 6600i to a 6650 and it's well worth the money.
    Old 10-25-2011, 05:41 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

oh dear ..well only place I can suggest is either Walmart, Sears (new singers) or Jo-Ann's. One can get a decent machine for right at 80.00 or so. I bought both of my DGD's each one as well as their mom a Brother machine for right at 79.99 each. Nothing fancy but it does sew !
    Old 10-25-2011, 05:48 AM

Oh no...that's sad. :( Are you sure? What kind of machine is it? Sewing machines are just made up of componants, perhaps yours can be salvaged with a few, new parts.

~ Cindy
    Old 10-25-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by tropit
    Oh no...that's sad. :( Are you sure? What kind of machine is it? Sewing machines are just made up of componants, perhaps yours can be salvaged with a few, new parts.

~ Cindy
    Unfortunately, I purchased this machine before I was educated about sewing machines and their pieces/parts. This one is a brother cs6000i and I swore by this machine and all it could do for a very cheap price. I used it for 4 years and loved it everyday....until it locked up. Repairman says the price of the parts to fix is more than the machine itself. Sooooo....off to do some test driving today! You can be sure that I will give that salesman a thorough list of questions....LOL.
    Old 10-25-2011, 06:35 AM

I likely will never buy a modern plastic machine again, after the ones here are done. I like maintaining my own machines and I can with the older Singers. Also, the metal machines just don't wear out, and there are still parts around for them.
    I think looking for a gently used machine is a good idea. The new ones are way too pricey. I can afford them and I choose not to buy them anymore. My last machine, a Janome 11000 is working well and I like it. However, when it stops, no more fancy machines. A machine that costs what a good used car is worth, or a good chunk of a downpayment on a smaller home is not what I'm willing to buy.
    Have fun with the search. It's always exciting. And let us know what you end up buying! I'm sure you'll love it whatever it may be.:)
    Old 10-25-2011, 07:23 AM

You need to buy the Pfaff that was on the board a day or 2 ago. Fantastic deal!